For the first time, rugby fans around the world are to be given the chance to have their say in who wins the coveted IRB Sevens Player of the Year award, in association with HSBC.
The news follows a decision by the International Rugby Board to add a new dimension to the voting process.
With Rugby Sevens' players treating record numbers of fans and television viewers to a stellar 2011/12 HSBC Sevens World Series, the public is being invited to vote from a shortlist of players to assist team management with the process of determining this year's king of Sevens.
It is the first time that this prestigious award, won in 2010/11 by South Africa’s inspirational playmaker and sweeper Cecil Afrika, has featured fan recommendations and will add an extra dimension to the Series climax in London.
The shortlist, voted by the management of all 12 core teams on the Series, will be unveiled on 7 May, the day after the Emirates Airline Glasgow Sevens.
Public voting on that shortlist of nominees will open at 12:00 UK time on Monday, 7 May 2012 and close at 12:00 UK time on Sunday, 13 May 2012.
The public vote will then be considered within the overall process, and the IRB Sevens Player of the Year in association with HSBC will be announced shortly after the conclusion of the final round of the Series at London's Twickenham Stadium.
Nominations can be submitted via the IRB Facebook page
- 21 October - Jonny Wilkinson on life after rugby
- 20 October - Australia player Emilee Cherry looks ahead to the start of the Women's Sevens World Series
- 18 October - Cameron Clark on playing for Australia sevens
- 17 October - Sweden's Jennifer Sundqvist on 30 years of Women's rugby in the country
- 17 October - Gold Coast Sevens review
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 15 October - Martin Johnson's 'Tackle These'
- 14 October - Martin Johnson and Chris Robshaw on leadership
- 13 October - Uruguay's reaction to securing a place in Rugby World Cup Pool A
- 13 October - Russia's reaction to missing out on Rugby World Cup 2015