IRB Hall of Fame
The International Rugby Board will induct nine legends into the IRB Hall of Fame at a special ceremony celebrating the rich history of British & Irish Lions tours to South Africa at Rugby School in England on Tuesday, October 27.
The 2009 induction in the Temple Speech Room at the historic School will also include the inaugural IRB Lecture, to be given by IRB Council member and 2009 Lions Manager Gerald Davies on the British & Irish Lions and the Spirit of the Game.
This year witnessed the 13th Lions tour to South Africa and provided another memorable chapter in a rich history, which began 118 years ago when Bill Maclagan led his British team to South Africa in 1891.
Members of the public were invited to vote on nominees from the 19th, 20th and 21st centuries, giving Rugby fans around the world an opportunity to recognise their most treasured players.
These votes were then compiled before the IRB Hall of Fame Induction Panel comprising Don Cameron (New Zealand), Gerald Davies (Wales), Henri Garcia (France), Norman Mair (Scotland), Pablo Mamone (Argentina) and Nigel Starmer-Smith (England) selected the nine legends to be inducted into the IRB Hall of Fame in 2009.
"The first IRB Hall of Fame ceremony took place in 2006 with the induction of both Rugby School and William Webb Ellis, its most famous pupil. We are therefore delighted to be in Rugby for the fourth ceremony," said IRB Chairman Bernard Lapasset.
"This year marks a whole new chapter in the Game's history as we join the Olympic Family and it is timely to review the strong heritage and rich traditions of our wonderful sport at an event of this kind."
"We look forward to welcoming the inductees or their representatives to Rugby School next week for what promises to be a special event," added Lapasset.
- 30 August - Gilbert's new ball for Rugby World Cup 2015
- 29 August - CEO Brett Gosper on the name change from 'IRB' to 'World Rugby'
- 29 August - Feature on Argentina's Manuel Montero
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 25 August - Bhubesi Pride takes rugby to children across Africa
- 25 August - Argentina legend Hugo Porta on his career
- 24 August - (FUN) England's Women talk about what makes them tick
- 23 August - Rugby World Cup volunteers feature
- 22 August - A round-up of the action at the Youth Olympic Games in China
- 22 August - A report looking back on the Women's Rugby World Cup