IRB Hall of Fame
IRB Hall of Fame – Induction No.58 – Andrew Gavin Hastings OBE (Scotland, British & Irish Lions) - 1962-
One of 11 legends inducted into the IRB Hall of Fame at the IRB World Rugby Conference and Exhibition in Dublin on 18 November 2013.
Born: 3 January 1962 in Edinburgh, Scotland
Position: Full back
International career: 1986-1995
Nickname: Big Gav
Before he made his international debut he played alongside his brother Scott for the Scottish Universities against their English counterparts in 1984 and was described by his coach Bill Dickinson as a “great player of the future.” He fulfilled the prophecy of the great coach and two years later made his Scotland debut against France in 1986, winning the first of his 61 international caps. He played in three Rugby World Cups, starting in 13 matches and scoring a total of 227 points, a RWC record until it was bettered by Jonny Wilkinson. He captained the victorious Cambridge University in the Varsity match in 1985 and helped Scotland win the Grand Slam in 1990. He played for Watsonians RFC in Edinburgh, London Scottish and the Barbarians. His first selection for the British & Irish Lions was for the IRB Centenary match against the Rest of the World in Cardiff in 1986. He played a total of 16 matches on two Lions tours (plus two one-off internationals), winning, in addition to his debut for the 1986 Lions selection, seven more Lions caps – three against Australia in 1989, three against New Zealand in 1993, as well as a selection against France in the match organised to celebrate the Bicentenary of the French Revolution in Paris in 1989. He captained Scotland on 20 occasions and led the Lions on their 1993 tour of New Zealand, playing in nine of the matches, including the three Tests. He scored a total of 192 points during his Lions career, of which 66 points were against Australian opposition.
A full profile will appear in due course.
- 01 September - Robins Tchale-Watchou profile
- 31 August - Rugby World Cup Trophy Tour - South Africa
- 30 August - Gilbert's new ball for Rugby World Cup 2015
- 29 August - CEO Brett Gosper on the name change from 'IRB' to 'World Rugby'
- 29 August - Feature on Argentina's Manuel Montero
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 25 August - Bhubesi Pride takes rugby to children across Africa
- 25 August - Argentina legend Hugo Porta on his career
- 24 August - (FUN) England's Women talk about what makes them tick
- 23 August - Rugby World Cup volunteers feature