JWRT day one: Pool B

(IRB.COM) Tuesday 21 April 2009
 JWRT day one: Pool B
Chile, the IRB Junior World Rugby Trophy runners up in 2008, scored four tries in the first half of their Pool B match with Korea - Photo: Frankie Deges

Chile and Romania recorded wins over Korea and Papua New Guinea respectively on the opening day of Pool B action at the IRB Junior World Rugby Trophy 2009 in Nairobi, Kenya.


FULL TIME: Chile 49-21 Korea

Thomas Claps scored 22 points as Chile got their IRB Junior World Rugby Trophy 2009 challenge off to a winning start against Korea at the RFUEA Grounds in Nairobi.

The number 8 crossed for Chile's opening try in the sixth minute and converted wing Mauricio Urrutia's try 12 minutes later to edge the 2008 runners up back ahead after Korea full back Yang Soowoong had converted his own try.

Nicolas Herreros and Claudio Zamorano also crossed for Chile with Yoo Hee Bum's try sandwiched in between to leave Korea trailing 22-14 at the interval of the day's second Pool B match.

Chile though scored another 20 unanswered points before the hour mark with tries from Ignacio Silva and Claps - along with a penalty and conversion from both Claps and scrum half Herreros - giving them a seemingly unassailable lead.

Replacement Yang Pil Jung did score Korea's third try in the 64th minute, but Claps had the final say as he completed his hat-trick in the final minute to give Chile the start to the tournament they had been seeking.


FULL TIME: Papua New Guinea 17-50 Romania

Romania's made the most of their superior size and power to overcome Papua New Guinea's brand of attractive running rugby in the opening match of this year's IRB Junior World Rugby Trophy at the Impala ground in Nairobi, Kenya.

The Romanians, who finished fourth in last year's tournament, charged relentlessly at their smaller, but hard tackling opponents with number 8 Cristian Munteanu scoring the opening try in the sixth minutes after his side pushed through PNG in a scrum metres from the line.

Kenyan referee Constant Cap briefly stopped play for a water break in the 20th minute due to the hot and sunny conditions in Nairobi and the score remained at 7-0 until 10 minutes later, when wing Cristian Rizea doubled his side's advantage by crossing the try-line.

Papua New Guinea, though, were undaunted and kept up their tactic of taking quick taps at every penalty awarded to them to nullify the Romanian's power at set pieces, finally getting the reward their hard work deserved with an end to end try that will be an early contender for try of the tournament.

The move started deep in their own half with a quick tap by flanker Desmond Korpok before the Papua New Guinea players showcased their attacking flair as he combined with centres Ojay Benson Moka and Jackson Pato to finish off the move he had begun and give his side cause to celebrate.

Romania though stretched their advantage to 12 points again with Ionut Puisoru's try on the stroke of half time and within six minutes of the restart that had grown to 24-7 following Rizea's second try of the match.

Once more Papua New Guinea found a way through the Romanian defence, only for referee Cap to deny Pato a try after consultation with his assistant referee, seemingly for obstruction. Puisoru claimed his second try of the match, before Pato finally did get his name on the scoresheet.

The impressive Romanian fly half Stefan Patrascu touched cancelled out that score with his side's sixth try, and while replacement Bomai Kaupa gave Papua New Guinea more reason to smile with a third try following another quick tap, Ionut Ciocan and Dorin Lazar wrapped up the win with tries.