Rugby World Cup winner Lawrence Dallaglio has joined the likes of Bryan Habana, Agustin Pichot and Anastassiya Khamova in supporting Rugby’s campaign for Olympic Games re-inclusion.
The backing from the Rugby World Cup winner in both Sevens and fifteens comes after the International Rugby Players’ Association (IRPA) announced that the IRB’s campaign comes with the endorsement of the world’s best players.
“I speak for the entire Rugby Family when I say that we believe that Rugby would strengthen and support the Olympic Movement and that the Olympic Games would be great for Rugby.”
Dallaglio, who lifted the prestigious Melrose Cup with the England Sevens team in Edinburgh in 1993, believes that Sevens would be the perfect fit for the Olympic Games.
“Rugby Sevens is played by the quickest, fittest and most agile players. It is an exciting, fast and free flowing game that is great for young people and enjoyed by men, women and families everywhere,” said Dallaglio.
“The camaraderie of being part of a national team with athletes from different sports all competing side by side. Being part of the world’s greatest sporting event and extending the reach of the Games, particularly to more young people, for years to come,” said Dallaglio.
Over three million people across 116 countries participate in Rugby worldwide and Rugby Sevens has experienced unprecedented growth and appeal over the past decade. Its unique blend of explosive action, world-class players and highly-competitive format packaged in matches of 14 minutes, has proven successful in reaching out to new young audiences, sponsors and broadcasters.
For Emirates Sports Ambassador Dallaglio, Sevens remains an integral part of his Rugby history and he ranks his Rugby World Cup Sevens success with England amongst his most treasured achievements.
“I have some of my greatest memories from winning the 1993 RWC Sevens in Edinburgh and am thrilled to see how quickly the game has grown since then."
- Thursday 21 August 2014 - Olympics
Bach and Lapasset thrilled with Olympic debut
- Thursday 21 August 2014 - Oceania
NZ men join strongest ever Oceania Sevens
- Wednesday 20 August 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
World Cup preparation was spot on - Scarratt
- Wednesday 20 August 2014 - Africa
Unions plot path to the TOP
- Wednesday 20 August 2014 - Olympics
Australia and France win Youth Olympic gold
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 20 August - England's Maggie Alphonsi and Emily Scarratt on winning the Women's Rugby World Cup
- 20 August - Heather Moyse on the Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing
- 20 August - An emotional Dom du Toit on Australia's victory at the Youth Olympic Games
- 20 August - France captain Alex Arrate and coach Thierry Janeczeck on winning the men's event at the Youth Olympic Games
- 20 August - Canada's Hannah Darling on winning silver at the Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing
- 20 August - China's Yueying Gao on winning bronze at the Youth Olympics
- 19 August - Serge Betsen on France reaching the final of the men's event at the Youth Olympic Games
- 19 August - Australia's Dom du Toit on reaching the final of the women's sevens event in the Youth Olympic Games
- 19 August - All Blacks legend Zinzan Brooke takes on 'Tackle These'