Europe's top Referees and Referee Managers met in London on Thursday for the annual Northern Hemisphere IRB High Performance Referee Conference.
Under the central theme of global and consistent performance, the meeting provided an opportunity to consider Refereeing best practice and establish key focus areas as momentum builds towards Rugby World Cup 2011 in New Zealand.
With the RBS 6 Nations Championship reaching its conclusion last weekend, IRB Referee Manager Paddy O'Brien reiterated the need for consistent and universal application of Law in five key areas, in accordance with directives issued to all Unions in November 2009:
a) refereeing of offsides at the ruck
b) offside from kicks
c) illegal maul formation causing obstruction
d) slowing down of scrum engagement sequence
e) accuracy of application of the tackle Law
"The Northern Hemisphere meeting is a key element of the referee feedback and training process and enables us to review performances as a team, consider the latest trends in the Game and reiterate the key focus areas to ensure consistency," said O'Brien.
"The meeting forms part of an integrated cross-hemisphere approach, with the same review process scheduled for Southern Hemisphere based Referees and Referee Managers in July in order to review performance and further promote global consistency of the application of Law at Test and national competition level."
The IRB's High Performance Referees have agreed to be extra vigilant in the area of scrum resets and associated infringements at the elite level of the Game where the issue is more prominent.
"The Referees have been reminded of their obligation to penalise clear and obvious offences at the scrum in order to address the number of resets and to insist on a zero tolerance policy to players who fail to follow the referees calling of the engagement procedure.
- Wednesday 23 July 2014 - Commonwealth Games
Commonwealth Games: Rugby’s all-rounders
- Tuesday 22 July 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Superbru onboard for #WRWC2014
- Tuesday 22 July 2014 - RWC 2015
RWC Gold: When Stirling cashed in
- Monday 21 July 2014 - Commonwealth Games
Rugby Sevens at the Commonwealth Games
- Monday 21 July 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Sevens stars put Wallaroos on the attack
- 23 July - Development of rugby in Colombia
- 22 July - The Netherlands team profile
- 21 July - In-depth look at rugby in Russia
- 20 July - New Zealand's John Afoa looks back on his career
- 19 July - Sean Fitzpatrick Tackle These
- 18 July - Australia's women look ahead to the Rugby World Cup
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 16 July - Shane Williams on life in Japan
- 15 July - South Africa women's preparation for the World Cup
- 14 July - Humphrey Kayange takes on 'Tackle These'