The International Rugby Board has announced further details of the programme for the 2010 IRB Medical Conference, which will be held in London from November 3-5.
Under the central theme of Putting Players First, the Conference aims to tackle player welfare issues facing the Game at both the elite and community level. Crucially, a central focus of the event will be injury prevention and player welfare best practice.
VISIT THE NEW IRB PLAYER WELFARE WEBSITE >>
VISIT THE IRB RUGBY READY WEBSITE >>
IRB Chairman Bernard Lapasset said: “The welfare of players at all levels of the Game is of critical importance to the IRB and its 117 Member Unions and the expanded IRB Medical Conference programme reflects the continued commitment within the global Rugby family to Putting Players First."
“Collectively, a lot has already been achieved. We now have a universal system of injury reporting and expert medical groups have devised policy on key areas, including concussion management, cardiac screening and training and education best practice. But more can be done. The outcomes from the Conference must, and will, drive policy making and the continued dissemination of information to those playing, coaching and officiating the Game."
"The inaugural IRB Medical Conference in 2009 provided an excellent first step in a new integrated approach for Unions to share information and discuss global medical issues. We are committed to ensuring that this year’s Conference will be a catalyst for enhanced player welfare practices from grass roots to the elite level.”
Following the success of the inaugural Medical Conference, which delivered a suite of player welfare and medical recommendations, the event has been extended to three days to accommodate an expanded programme of expert presentations, group discussions and policy recommendations.
Keynote speakers during the three-day event include Arsenal team doctor Gary O’Driscoll, Scotland and British & Irish Lions doctor James Robson, Professor Bill McKenna from UCL partners and former Scotland international Thom Evans.
- Tuesday 21 October 2014 - Europe
The power of rugby to break down borders
- Monday 20 October 2014 - RWC 2015
All Blacks improve rankings total
- Monday 20 October 2014 - Press Releases
Olympic Sevens panel announced for #IRBConfEx
- Monday 20 October 2014 - Americas
Jaguars sign off in style at ARC
- Saturday 18 October 2014 - RWC 2015
Los Teros begin countdown to Cardiff
- 21 October - Jonny Wilkinson on life after rugby
- 20 October - Australia player Emilee Cherry looks ahead to the start of the Women's Sevens World Series
- 18 October - Cameron Clark on playing for Australia sevens
- 17 October - Sweden's Jennifer Sundqvist on 30 years of Women's rugby in the country
- 17 October - Gold Coast Sevens review
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 15 October - Martin Johnson's 'Tackle These'
- 14 October - Martin Johnson and Chris Robshaw on leadership
- 13 October - Uruguay's reaction to securing a place in Rugby World Cup Pool A
- 13 October - Russia's reaction to missing out on Rugby World Cup 2015