The International Rugby Board Council has today decided to defer the election of the Chairman and Vice-Chairman positions. The adjourned Council meeting will take place in December 2011.
An election must be held before January 1, 2012 when the current mandate of Bernard Lapasset as Chairman and Bill Beaumont as Vice Chairman, expires.
This decision was taken after a resolution was passed to defer the vote until after the completion of Rugby World Cup 2011.
Both candidates (Lapasset and Beaumont) and Council were in agreement that in future the election of Chairman should not take place during Rugby World Cup but should take place at the IRB Annual Meeting of Council in the year following Rugby’s showcase tournament.
- Thursday 21 August 2014 - Olympics
Bach and Lapasset thrilled with Olympic debut
- Thursday 21 August 2014 - Oceania
NZ men join strongest ever Oceania Sevens
- Wednesday 20 August 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
World Cup preparation was spot on - Scarratt
- Wednesday 20 August 2014 - Africa
Unions plot path to the TOP
- Wednesday 20 August 2014 - Olympics
Australia and France win Youth Olympic gold
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 20 August - England's Maggie Alphonsi and Emily Scarratt on winning the Women's Rugby World Cup
- 20 August - Heather Moyse on the Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing
- 20 August - An emotional Dom du Toit on Australia's victory at the Youth Olympic Games
- 20 August - France captain Alex Arrate and coach Thierry Janeczeck on winning the men's event at the Youth Olympic Games
- 20 August - Canada's Hannah Darling on winning silver at the Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing
- 20 August - China's Yueying Gao on winning bronze at the Youth Olympics
- 19 August - Serge Betsen on France reaching the final of the men's event at the Youth Olympic Games
- 19 August - Australia's Dom du Toit on reaching the final of the women's sevens event in the Youth Olympic Games
- 19 August - All Blacks legend Zinzan Brooke takes on 'Tackle These'