The International Rugby Board Council has today decided to defer the election of the Chairman and Vice-Chairman positions. The adjourned Council meeting will take place in December 2011.
An election must be held before January 1, 2012 when the current mandate of Bernard Lapasset as Chairman and Bill Beaumont as Vice Chairman, expires.
This decision was taken after a resolution was passed to defer the vote until after the completion of Rugby World Cup 2011.
Both candidates (Lapasset and Beaumont) and Council were in agreement that in future the election of Chairman should not take place during Rugby World Cup but should take place at the IRB Annual Meeting of Council in the year following Rugby’s showcase tournament.
- Thursday 31 July 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Total Rugby: Women's Rugby World Cup special!
- Thursday 31 July 2014 - IRB Women's Sevens Series
Host cities announced for women's series
- Thursday 31 July 2014 -
Opening day of Women's RWC almost sold out
- Thursday 31 July 2014 - RWC 2015
Uruguay host Hong Kong in World Cup showdown
- Wednesday 30 July 2014 - RWC 2015
Krasnoyarsk, the heartbeat of Russian rugby
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 30 July - South Africa's Warren Whiteley on winning Gold in Glasgow
- 30 July - Sean Fitzpatrick on the extraordinary 1995 World Cup
- 29 July - Sean Fitzpatrick on his early obsession with rugby
- 28 July - Hong Kong's Dai Rees and first, Zimbabwe's Liam Middleton on the repechage
- 28 July - Pablo Lemoine on future of rugby in Uruguay
- 25 July - Barbados prepare for Commonwealth Games in Sutton Coldfield
- 23 July - Development of rugby in Colombia
- 22 July - The Netherlands team profile
- 21 July - In-depth look at rugby in Russia