The International Rugby Board is saddened to learn that Lin Chia-Sheng, known to the Rugby family as Carlson Lin, passed away on Wednesday.
Lin, who received the IRB Development Award in 2009, was the key driving force behind the development of rugby in Chinese Taipei and across the Asian region.
An invaluable asset to Asian Rugby, Lin also played a significant role in advancing match official training and recruitment across a region experiencing great growth.
The 69-year-old first took up the whistle in 1964 and went on to serve as a Judicial Officer, Referee Manager, Match Commissioner and Referee educator.
“On behalf of the global Rugby family, I would like to express my deepest sadness for the loss of a wonderful servant of the Game and a man who dedicated so much time to the development and promotion of the sport he loved,” said IRB Chairman Bernard Lapasset.
Hong-Hsin Lee, President of the Chinese Taipei Rugby Football Union, said: “Mr Lin has been the key driving force for the development of rugby. Our thoughts and condolences, as well as those of everyone in rugby, are with his family and friends. Carlson will be fondly remembered by all who had the good fortune to know him. He will be greatly missed.”
Ross Mitchell, ARFU Honorary Secretary General, added: “Carlson was one of the truly amazing characters of Rugby. He was known where he went throughout the whole word. Carlson’s contribution to Rugby, and his great passion in life, the referees, was enormous. He will be missed incredibly by everyone in the Game.”
- Saturday 8 March 2014 - Women's Rugby
Rugby celebrates International Women's Day
- Friday 7 March 2014 - World Rankings
Fourth at stake when RWC 2015 rivals meet
- Friday 7 March 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
World Cup success the dream for Agricole
- Friday 7 March 2014 - Olympics
Rugby Sevens primed for ODESUR Games in Chile
- Friday 7 March 2014 - RWC 2015
England and Wales set for RWC 2015 rehearsal
- 09 March - Ben Gollings and Waisale Serevi on rugby in Brazil
- 08 March - Sandrine Agricole on France women's Six Nations campaign
- 7 March - England v Wales: Rugby World Cup memories and dreams
- 07 March - Andy Robinson looks ahead to the penultimate round of the Six Nations
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show