The International Rugby Board is saddened to learn that Lin Chia-Sheng, known to the Rugby family as Carlson Lin, passed away on Wednesday.
Lin, who received the IRB Development Award in 2009, was the key driving force behind the development of rugby in Chinese Taipei and across the Asian region.
An invaluable asset to Asian Rugby, Lin also played a significant role in advancing match official training and recruitment across a region experiencing great growth.
The 69-year-old first took up the whistle in 1964 and went on to serve as a Judicial Officer, Referee Manager, Match Commissioner and Referee educator.
“On behalf of the global Rugby family, I would like to express my deepest sadness for the loss of a wonderful servant of the Game and a man who dedicated so much time to the development and promotion of the sport he loved,” said IRB Chairman Bernard Lapasset.
Hong-Hsin Lee, President of the Chinese Taipei Rugby Football Union, said: “Mr Lin has been the key driving force for the development of rugby. Our thoughts and condolences, as well as those of everyone in rugby, are with his family and friends. Carlson will be fondly remembered by all who had the good fortune to know him. He will be greatly missed.”
Ross Mitchell, ARFU Honorary Secretary General, added: “Carlson was one of the truly amazing characters of Rugby. He was known where he went throughout the whole word. Carlson’s contribution to Rugby, and his great passion in life, the referees, was enormous. He will be missed incredibly by everyone in the Game.”
- Monday 1 September 2014 - South America
Colombia start with big win in South America
- Monday 1 September 2014 - Junior World Rugby Trophy
Namibia qualify for Junior World Trophy 2015
- Monday 1 September 2014 - Olympics
Rio 2016 calls for Rugby volunteers
- Friday 29 August 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Ensuring an Impact Beyond WRWC 2014
- Friday 29 August 2014 - South America
Super Week lives up to name in Buenos Aires
- 02 September - Ollie Phillips sailing
- 01 September - Robins Tchale-Watchou profile
- 31 August - Rugby World Cup Trophy Tour - South Africa
- 30 August - Gilbert's new ball for Rugby World Cup 2015
- 29 August - CEO Brett Gosper on the name change from 'IRB' to 'World Rugby'
- 29 August - Feature on Argentina's Manuel Montero
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 25 August - Bhubesi Pride takes rugby to children across Africa
- 25 August - Argentina legend Hugo Porta on his career
- 24 August - (FUN) England's Women talk about what makes them tick