IRB Chief Financial Officer Robert Brophy has been appointed acting Chief Executive of Rugby’s global governing body and acting Managing Director of Rugby World Cup Limited.
Appointed by the Executive Committee, Irishman Brophy will take up his new position on February 1 to continue to drive forward the IRB’s core business while a thorough independent recruitment process for a permanent successor to Mike Miller is conducted.
Miller is stepping down on January 31 after 10 years at the helm at the IRB and Rugby World Cup Limited, having overseen three massively successful Rugby World Cups, the re-inclusion of Rugby into the Olympics, the growth of the HSBC Sevens World Series and the creation of the IRB’s Strategic Investment Programme and Union Fund which have seen an exponential increase in funding to Tier 1 and Tier 2 Unions and emerging major market countries.
Brophy has served as the IRB’s Chief Financial Officer since 1996 and previously worked for KPMG and Diageo UK. A passionate Rugby man, he also represented Trinity College and Leinster at age grade during his playing days.
IRB Chairman Bernard Lapasset said: “I am delighted that Robert has accepted the role of acting Chief Executive of the IRB and acting Managing Director of Rugby World Cup Limited. He has a massive wealth of experience in the organisation and global Rugby governance and is highly respected by the staff. I have every confidence that Robert will provide the continuity, stability and leadership required until a new permanent Chief Executive takes office.”
Brophy added: “It is an enormous privilege to be given this opportunity by the IRB Executive Committee. We have an excellent management team and I am looking forward to working with Bernard and Vice Chairman Oregan Hoskins to continue to drive the Game forward.”
A thorough process to appoint a permanent Chief Executive will begin immediately with the IRB to select a leading global recruitment company.
- Wednesday 17 September 2014 - Press Releases
IRB supports CONSUR to 'Keep Rugby Clean'
- Wednesday 17 September 2014 - RWC 2015
RWC 2015 Launch-pad!
- Tuesday 16 September 2014 - Europe
Belgium's rugby family continues to grow
- Tuesday 16 September 2014 - HSBC Sevens World Series - Australia
Pools drawn for Gold Coast Sevens
- Monday 15 September 2014 - RWC 2015
A World Rankings perspective on RWC 2015
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 10 September - Chris Robshaw on his career so far
- 09 September - Strength and Conditioning, Behind-the-scenes
- 08 September - Kit man, Behind-the-scenes
- 07 September - Injury Prevention, Behind-the-scenes
- 06 September - Club Chef, Behind-the-scenes
- 05 September - Harlequins Head Coach John Kingston, Behind-the-scenes
- 03 September - Gavin Hastings 'Tackle These'
- 02 September - Ollie Phillips sailing
- 01 September - Robins Tchale-Watchou profile