The IRB Council today considered the appeal by Steven Shingler against the decision of the IRB Regulations Committee, which found him to be captured for Wales.
Under the Regulations Committee decision Shingler was deemed to have been captured by Wales having represented the Wales Under 20 team against the France Under 20 team in a 2011 Six Nations fixture. Both Wales and France had individually designated their Under 20 teams as their next senior national representative teams.
In accordance with IRB Regulation 2, the IRB Council has the power to endorse or overturn the decision of the Regulations Committee. Following the Scottish Rugby Union's appeal of the Shingler decision, the IRB Council considered and determined the matter during its Annual Meeting in Dublin.
Council, having considered all the facts and having heard submissions from the SRU and WRU legal representatives, dismissed the appeal and upheld the decision of the IRB Regulations Committee. The Council therefore determined that Steven Shingler is tied to Wales in accordance with IRB Regulation 8 and therefore is ineligible to represent another Union.
- Friday 22 August 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
World Cup was simply incredible - Carty
- Friday 22 August 2014 - IRB Hall of Fame
Eleven NZ greats inducted into Hall of Fame
- Thursday 21 August 2014 - RWC 2015
Race continues for "backbone of World Cup"
- Thursday 21 August 2014 - Olympics
Bach and Lapasset thrilled with Olympic debut
- Thursday 21 August 2014 - Oceania
NZ men join strongest ever Oceania Sevens
- 23 August - Rugby World Cup volunteers feature
- 22 August - A round-up of the action at the Youth Olympic Games in China
- 22 August - A report looking back on the Women's Rugby World Cup
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 20 August - England's Maggie Alphonsi and Emily Scarratt on winning the Women's Rugby World Cup
- 20 August - Heather Moyse on the Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing
- 20 August - An emotional Dom du Toit on Australia's victory at the Youth Olympic Games
- 20 August - France captain Alex Arrate and coach Thierry Janeczeck on winning the men's event at the Youth Olympic Games
- 20 August - Canada's Hannah Darling on winning silver at the Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing
- 20 August - China's Yueying Gao on winning bronze at the Youth Olympics