The IRB Council today considered the appeal by Steven Shingler against the decision of the IRB Regulations Committee, which found him to be captured for Wales.
Under the Regulations Committee decision Shingler was deemed to have been captured by Wales having represented the Wales Under 20 team against the France Under 20 team in a 2011 Six Nations fixture. Both Wales and France had individually designated their Under 20 teams as their next senior national representative teams.
In accordance with IRB Regulation 2, the IRB Council has the power to endorse or overturn the decision of the Regulations Committee. Following the Scottish Rugby Union's appeal of the Shingler decision, the IRB Council considered and determined the matter during its Annual Meeting in Dublin.
Council, having considered all the facts and having heard submissions from the SRU and WRU legal representatives, dismissed the appeal and upheld the decision of the IRB Regulations Committee. The Council therefore determined that Steven Shingler is tied to Wales in accordance with IRB Regulation 8 and therefore is ineligible to represent another Union.
- Wednesday 30 July 2014 - RWC 2015
Krasnoyarsk, the heartbeat of Russian rugby
- Wednesday 30 July 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Captains' excitement as WRWC2014 gets closer
- Wednesday 30 July 2014 - HSBC Sevens
Golden Blitzboks turn attention to Series
- Tuesday 29 July 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Women's Rugby World Cup launched in Paris
- Monday 28 July 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Sevens stars touch down for Women's World Cup
- 30 July - South Africa's Warren Whiteley on winning Gold in Glasgow
- 30 July - Sean Fitzpatrick on the extraordinary 1995 World Cup
- 29 July - Sean Fitzpatrick on his early obsession with rugby
- 28 July - Hong Kong's Dai Rees and first, Zimbabwe's Liam Middleton on the repechage
- 28 July - Pablo Lemoine on future of rugby in Uruguay
- 25 July - Barbados prepare for Commonwealth Games in Sutton Coldfield
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 23 July - Development of rugby in Colombia
- 22 July - The Netherlands team profile
- 21 July - In-depth look at rugby in Russia