The International Rugby Board has confirmed that Philippines player Chris Hitch has received a six-month sanction as a result of a positive finding for the prohibited substance Methylhexaneamine (MHA) following a doping test at the Hong Kong Sevens tournament in March 2012.
MHA is classified on the WADA Prohibited List as a specified stimulant, can be found in some nutritional supplements, and is responsible for a number of positive cases over the last year within Rugby and other sports. Hitch had consumed the supplement Mesomorph.
The IRB operates a zero-tolerance stance towards drugs cheats in sport and all players are reminded to thoroughly research the ingredients of any supplements before purchasing or consumption to ensure that they do not contain prohibited substances and in particular the various names MHA is known by (listed below).
IRB Anti-Doping Manager Tim Ricketts said: "This case highlights the clear need for players to pay due consideration to the contents of any dietary or nutritional supplement and ensure that they are familiar with the WADA list via the IRB or their Union's website. Only the player can be responsible for what they consume."
For further information on MHA and the IRB's policy on nutritional supplements click here >>
For the full written decision of Chris Hitch's case click here >>
MHA is known by a number of different names including Methylhexaneamine; Methylhexanamine; DMAA (dimethylamylamine); Geranamine; Forthane; Forthan; Floradrene; 2-hexanamine, 4-methyl-; 2-hexanamine, 4-methyl- (9CI); 4-methyl-2-hexanamine; 1,3-dimethylamylamine; 4-Methylhexan-2-amine; 1,3-dimethylpentylamine; 2-amino-4-methylhexane; Pentylamine, 1, 3-dimethyl-; pelargonium graveolens; pelargonium extract; geranium, geranium oil or geranium root extract.
The following is not an exhaustive list but provides examples of some commercial supplements which contain, or have been identified in certain countries to contain, MHA or its variants: Hemo Rage, Jack3d, OxyElite Pro, 1.M.R., Mesomorph, Rocked, Crack, USN Anabolic Nitro, Ergolean Amp 2, DynaPep, Core Zap, C4 Extreme, Nutrimax Burner, NitroX, IBE XForce, Fusion Geranamine, ClearShot, Black Cats, Musclespeed.
- Monday 1 September 2014 - South America
Colombia start with big win in South America
- Monday 1 September 2014 - Junior World Rugby Trophy
Namibia qualify for Junior World Trophy 2015
- Monday 1 September 2014 - Olympics
Rio 2016 calls for Rugby volunteers
- Monday 1 September 2014 - RWC 2015
Too Big To Miss
- Friday 29 August 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Ensuring an Impact Beyond WRWC 2014
- 02 September - Ollie Phillips sailing
- 01 September - Robins Tchale-Watchou profile
- 31 August - Rugby World Cup Trophy Tour - South Africa
- 30 August - Gilbert's new ball for Rugby World Cup 2015
- 29 August - CEO Brett Gosper on the name change from 'IRB' to 'World Rugby'
- 29 August - Feature on Argentina's Manuel Montero
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 25 August - Bhubesi Pride takes rugby to children across Africa
- 25 August - Argentina legend Hugo Porta on his career
- 24 August - (FUN) England's Women talk about what makes them tick