The International Rugby Board has confirmed that Philippines player Chris Hitch has received a six-month sanction as a result of a positive finding for the prohibited substance Methylhexaneamine (MHA) following a doping test at the Hong Kong Sevens tournament in March 2012.
MHA is classified on the WADA Prohibited List as a specified stimulant, can be found in some nutritional supplements, and is responsible for a number of positive cases over the last year within Rugby and other sports. Hitch had consumed the supplement Mesomorph.
The IRB operates a zero-tolerance stance towards drugs cheats in sport and all players are reminded to thoroughly research the ingredients of any supplements before purchasing or consumption to ensure that they do not contain prohibited substances and in particular the various names MHA is known by (listed below).
IRB Anti-Doping Manager Tim Ricketts said: "This case highlights the clear need for players to pay due consideration to the contents of any dietary or nutritional supplement and ensure that they are familiar with the WADA list via the IRB or their Union's website. Only the player can be responsible for what they consume."
For further information on MHA and the IRB's policy on nutritional supplements click here >>
For the full written decision of Chris Hitch's case click here >>
MHA is known by a number of different names including Methylhexaneamine; Methylhexanamine; DMAA (dimethylamylamine); Geranamine; Forthane; Forthan; Floradrene; 2-hexanamine, 4-methyl-; 2-hexanamine, 4-methyl- (9CI); 4-methyl-2-hexanamine; 1,3-dimethylamylamine; 4-Methylhexan-2-amine; 1,3-dimethylpentylamine; 2-amino-4-methylhexane; Pentylamine, 1, 3-dimethyl-; pelargonium graveolens; pelargonium extract; geranium, geranium oil or geranium root extract.
The following is not an exhaustive list but provides examples of some commercial supplements which contain, or have been identified in certain countries to contain, MHA or its variants: Hemo Rage, Jack3d, OxyElite Pro, 1.M.R., Mesomorph, Rocked, Crack, USN Anabolic Nitro, Ergolean Amp 2, DynaPep, Core Zap, C4 Extreme, Nutrimax Burner, NitroX, IBE XForce, Fusion Geranamine, ClearShot, Black Cats, Musclespeed.
- Thursday 24 July 2014 - RWC 2015
Fitzpatrick: Lomu - our strength and weakness
- Thursday 24 July 2014 - Africa
Madagascar: A hidden rugby gem
- Thursday 24 July 2014 - Press Releases
Top matches for Tier Two nations in November
- Wednesday 23 July 2014 - Commonwealth Games
Commonwealth Games: Rugby's all-rounders
- Tuesday 22 July 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Superbru onboard for #WRWC2014
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 23 July - Development of rugby in Colombia
- 22 July - The Netherlands team profile
- 21 July - In-depth look at rugby in Russia
- 20 July - New Zealand's John Afoa looks back on his career
- 19 July - Sean Fitzpatrick Tackle These
- 18 July - Australia's women look ahead to the Rugby World Cup
- 16 July - Shane Williams on life in Japan
- 15 July - South Africa women's preparation for the World Cup
- 14 July - Humphrey Kayange takes on 'Tackle These'