The International Rugby Board has confirmed that Philippines player Chris Hitch has received a six-month sanction as a result of a positive finding for the prohibited substance Methylhexaneamine (MHA) following a doping test at the Hong Kong Sevens tournament in March 2012.
MHA is classified on the WADA Prohibited List as a specified stimulant, can be found in some nutritional supplements, and is responsible for a number of positive cases over the last year within Rugby and other sports. Hitch had consumed the supplement Mesomorph.
The IRB operates a zero-tolerance stance towards drugs cheats in sport and all players are reminded to thoroughly research the ingredients of any supplements before purchasing or consumption to ensure that they do not contain prohibited substances and in particular the various names MHA is known by (listed below).
IRB Anti-Doping Manager Tim Ricketts said: "This case highlights the clear need for players to pay due consideration to the contents of any dietary or nutritional supplement and ensure that they are familiar with the WADA list via the IRB or their Union's website. Only the player can be responsible for what they consume."
For further information on MHA and the IRB's policy on nutritional supplements click here >>
For the full written decision of Chris Hitch's case click here >>
MHA is known by a number of different names including Methylhexaneamine; Methylhexanamine; DMAA (dimethylamylamine); Geranamine; Forthane; Forthan; Floradrene; 2-hexanamine, 4-methyl-; 2-hexanamine, 4-methyl- (9CI); 4-methyl-2-hexanamine; 1,3-dimethylamylamine; 4-Methylhexan-2-amine; 1,3-dimethylpentylamine; 2-amino-4-methylhexane; Pentylamine, 1, 3-dimethyl-; pelargonium graveolens; pelargonium extract; geranium, geranium oil or geranium root extract.
The following is not an exhaustive list but provides examples of some commercial supplements which contain, or have been identified in certain countries to contain, MHA or its variants: Hemo Rage, Jack3d, OxyElite Pro, 1.M.R., Mesomorph, Rocked, Crack, USN Anabolic Nitro, Ergolean Amp 2, DynaPep, Core Zap, C4 Extreme, Nutrimax Burner, NitroX, IBE XForce, Fusion Geranamine, ClearShot, Black Cats, Musclespeed.
- Tuesday 21 October 2014 - Europe
The power of rugby to break down borders
- Monday 20 October 2014 - RWC 2015
All Blacks improve rankings total
- Monday 20 October 2014 - Press Releases
Olympic Sevens panel announced for #IRBConfEx
- Monday 20 October 2014 - Americas
Jaguars sign off in style at ARC
- Saturday 18 October 2014 - RWC 2015
Los Teros begin countdown to Cardiff
- 21 October - Jonny Wilkinson on life after rugby
- 20 October - Australia player Emilee Cherry looks ahead to the start of the Women's Sevens World Series
- 18 October - Cameron Clark on playing for Australia sevens
- 17 October - Sweden's Jennifer Sundqvist on 30 years of Women's rugby in the country
- 17 October - Gold Coast Sevens review
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 15 October - Martin Johnson's 'Tackle These'
- 14 October - Martin Johnson and Chris Robshaw on leadership
- 13 October - Uruguay's reaction to securing a place in Rugby World Cup Pool A
- 13 October - Russia's reaction to missing out on Rugby World Cup 2015