The International Rugby Board would like to provide clarification regarding the membership application status of the Cyprus Rugby Union.
Under IRB Bye-Laws a national Union must be affiliated to the International Federation as a full Member Union in order to participate in Rugby World Cup qualifiers.
The Cyprus Rugby Union is currently not in membership of the IRB. In order to participate in the qualification process as with all Unions, the Union must first seek and achieve Associate Member status and then apply for and achieve full Member Union status. The criteria and timelines are clearly defined under the IRB Membership Pathway and Criteria.
The IRB welcomes the application by the Cyprus Union to seek Associate Membership status in accordance with the Pathway, Criteria and Bye-Laws and is delighted that the Union has strong ambitions to join the 117 Unions in membership of the IRB and participate in future RWC qualifying processes.
However, despite the strong performances of the national team in the FIRA-AER European Nations Cup, the IRB Executive Committee determined that Cyprus does not currently meet all of the necessary membership criteria. The IRB Executive Committee does note that the Union is working in partnership with the FIRA Regional Association to achieve the criteria and will reconsider the application in October.
The IRB is committed to working with its Regional Associations and national Unions to grow the Rugby community around the world.
- Thursday 30 October 2014 - Europe
Euro women set for battle of Waterloo
- Thursday 30 October 2014 - Junior World Rugby Trophy
Portugal - Georgia in Euro Under 19 final
- Wednesday 29 October 2014 - RWC 2015
RWC 2015: Pool B profile
- Tuesday 28 October 2014 - Press Releases
Land Rover named as partner for ConfEx 2014
- Tuesday 28 October 2014 - RWC 2015
Trophy Tour ready for American adventure
- 28 October - Rugby in Hawaii
- 27 October - Rugby World Cup Memory - France v New Zealand 1999 semi-final
- 26 October - Parisian Rugby
- 25 October - Brazil Sevens in South Africa
- 24 October - England's oldest schools match
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 21 October - Jonny Wilkinson on life after rugby
- 20 October - Australia player Emilee Cherry looks ahead to the start of the Women's Sevens World Series
- 18 October - Cameron Clark on playing for Australia sevens
- 17 October - Sweden's Jennifer Sundqvist on 30 years of Women's rugby in the country