International Rugby Board President Bernard Lapasset has announced that he is standing for the Presidency of SportAccord, the umbrella organisation for both Olympic and non-Olympic international sports federations as well as organisers of international sporting events.
Lapasset said: “SportAccord is a key organisation for the development and promotion of sport, its values and benefits and I am honoured to stand for this critical role. It is an exciting time for SportAccord with many opportunities to reinforce and enhance the service it provides its members and to work in partnership with them to develop and grow sport, addressing the challenges it faces and promoting its positive role in society.”
“It is important that SportAccord is at the heart of the global sporting community. It must reinforce the unity of the international sporting family while recognising the diversity of the SportAccord members.”
Lapasset has a wealth of experience in sport administration, including 17 years as President of the French Rugby Federation, during which time he served as President of the Organising Committee of a record-breaking Rugby World Cup 2007. He has held a number of senior roles with the French National Olympic Committee (CNOSF), including that of Vice President. He has been President of the IRB since 2008 and led Rugby’s successful campaign for re-inclusion in the Olympic movement.
The new President of SportAccord will be elected at the 2013 General Assembly in St Petersburg, Russia.
- Monday 20 October 2014 - RWC 2015
All Blacks improve rankings score
- Monday 20 October 2014 - Press Releases
Olympic Sevens panel announced for #IRBConfEx
- Monday 20 October 2014 - Americas
Jaguars sign off in style at ARC
- Saturday 18 October 2014 - RWC 2015
Los Teros begin countdown to Cardiff
- Friday 17 October 2014 - RWC 2015
Try Outs touch down in Leeds
- 21 October - Jonny Wilkinson on life after rugby
- 20 October - Australia player Emilee Cherry looks ahead to the start of the Women's Sevens Series
- 18 October - Cameron Clark on playing for Australia sevens
- 17 October - Sweden's Jennifer Sundqvist on 30 years of Women's rugby in the country
- 17 October - Gold Coast Sevens review
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 15 October - Martin Johnson's 'Tackle These'
- 14 October - Martin Johnson and Chris Robshaw on leadership
- 13 October - Uruguay's reaction to securing a place in Rugby World Cup Pool A
- 13 October - Russia's reaction to missing out on Rugby World Cup 2015