The International Rugby Board has announced that Specsavers will sponsor the match officials for the upcoming British and Irish Lions tour to Hong Kong and Australia, which kicks off on June 1.
As part of the arrangement, the officials will wear Specsavers-branded kit for each of the tour matches, including the three Tests between the Lions and Australia.
IRB Chief Executive Brett Gosper said: “This is good news for Rugby and shows the healthy state the sport is in as regards attracting top-class commercial partners.”
“Specsavers has a proven track record within the sports sector and we are looking forward to working closely with them.”
Specsavers chairman and former Llanelli second row Doug Perkins said: “Good eyesight is clearly very important in competitive sport. While there continues to be exciting technological innovations to aid referees, we will always rely on their personal judgement too. At Specsavers we’re glad to do our bit where we can to help ensure that they get the best possible support to do their job.”
Specsavers will be supporting the tour, which runs from June 1 to July 6, with sponsorship of the referees running in conjunction with a typically innovative advertising campaign across television, internet and social media.
In addition to the Lions match officials, Specsavers is building on its existing portfolio of sporting sponsorships that includes the Scottish Football Association match officials, RaboDirect PRO12 league and women’s GAA in Ireland.
- Friday 29 August 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Ensuring an Impact Beyond WRWC 2014
- Friday 29 August 2014 - South America
Super Week lives up to name in Buenos Aires
- Thursday 28 August 2014 - Press Releases
IRB to change name to World Rugby
- Wednesday 27 August 2014 - RWC 2015
Birmingham ready to welcome the world
- Tuesday 26 August 2014 - RWC 2015
South Africa reunited with Webb Ellis Cup
- 30 August - Gilbert's new ball for Rugby World Cup 2015
- 29 August - CEO Brett Gosper on the name change from 'IRB' to 'World Rugby'
- 29 August - Feature on Argentina's Manuel Montero
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 25 August - Bhubesi Pride takes rugby to children across Africa
- 25 August - Argentina legend Hugo Porta on his career
- 24 August - (FUN) England's Women talk about what makes them tick
- 23 August - Rugby World Cup volunteers feature
- 22 August - A round-up of the action at the Youth Olympic Games in China
- 22 August - A report looking back on the Women's Rugby World Cup