The International Rugby Board is delighted to announce that former South Africa and Italy head coach Nick Mallett has been appointed to the IRB Rugby Committee.
The 56-year-old former Springbok number eight fills the position of coaches’ representative on the committee, with the appointment being effective immediately.
With experience playing and coaching in several countries, including England, France and Italy as well as South Africa, Mallett will bring to the Rugby Committee a wealth of experience of the Game at the very highest level in a career that has seen him take two national teams to Rugby World Cups as well as leading French club Stade Francais to two consecutive national titles in 2003 and 2004.
“The IRB is delighted that Nick Mallett has accepted the IRB Council’s invitation to join the Rugby Committee. Having a broad experience across a range of club and national teams, Nick has considerable experience of the modern Test and domestic Game environment and will give the Committee a valuable insight into important issues facing the coaching of the Game,” said IRB Rugby Committee Chairman John Jeffrey.
“The IRB Rugby Committee plays an important role in advising the IRB Council on all issues related to playing the Game from the community participation level right the way to the top echelons of professional Rugby. Nick, I am sure, will make very valuable contributions to the committee and the Game," said Jeffrey.
Click here to listen to an audio interview with Nick Mallett discussing his appointment.
The IRB Rugby Committee next meets on October 8 and comprises John Jeffrey (Chairman), Bill Beaumont, Giancarlo Dondi, Michael Hawker, Chris Le Fevre, Fabien Pelous, David Pickering, Agustin Pichot, Cheryl Soon, Koji Tokumasu, Pat Whelan and now Nick Mallett.
- Friday 22 August 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
World Cup was simply incredible - Carty
- Friday 22 August 2014 - IRB Hall of Fame
Eleven NZ greats inducted into Hall of Fame
- Thursday 21 August 2014 - RWC 2015
Race continues for "backbone of World Cup"
- Thursday 21 August 2014 - Olympics
Bach and Lapasset thrilled with Olympic debut
- Thursday 21 August 2014 - Oceania
NZ men join strongest ever Oceania Sevens
- 22 August - A round-up of the action at the Youth Olympic Games in China
- 22 August - A report looking back on the Women's Rugby World Cup
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 20 August - England's Maggie Alphonsi and Emily Scarratt on winning the Women's Rugby World Cup
- 20 August - Heather Moyse on the Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing
- 20 August - An emotional Dom du Toit on Australia's victory at the Youth Olympic Games
- 20 August - France captain Alex Arrate and coach Thierry Janeczeck on winning the men's event at the Youth Olympic Games
- 20 August - Canada's Hannah Darling on winning silver at the Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing
- 20 August - China's Yueying Gao on winning bronze at the Youth Olympics
- 19 August - Serge Betsen on France reaching the final of the men's event at the Youth Olympic Games