The International Rugby Board is delighted to announce that former South Africa and Italy head coach Nick Mallett has been appointed to the IRB Rugby Committee.
The 56-year-old former Springbok number eight fills the position of coaches’ representative on the committee, with the appointment being effective immediately.
With experience playing and coaching in several countries, including England, France and Italy as well as South Africa, Mallett will bring to the Rugby Committee a wealth of experience of the Game at the very highest level in a career that has seen him take two national teams to Rugby World Cups as well as leading French club Stade Francais to two consecutive national titles in 2003 and 2004.
“The IRB is delighted that Nick Mallett has accepted the IRB Council’s invitation to join the Rugby Committee. Having a broad experience across a range of club and national teams, Nick has considerable experience of the modern Test and domestic Game environment and will give the Committee a valuable insight into important issues facing the coaching of the Game,” said IRB Rugby Committee Chairman John Jeffrey.
“The IRB Rugby Committee plays an important role in advising the IRB Council on all issues related to playing the Game from the community participation level right the way to the top echelons of professional Rugby. Nick, I am sure, will make very valuable contributions to the committee and the Game," said Jeffrey.
Click here to listen to an audio interview with Nick Mallett discussing his appointment.
The IRB Rugby Committee next meets on October 8 and comprises John Jeffrey (Chairman), Bill Beaumont, Giancarlo Dondi, Michael Hawker, Chris Le Fevre, Fabien Pelous, David Pickering, Agustin Pichot, Cheryl Soon, Koji Tokumasu, Pat Whelan and now Nick Mallett.
- Wednesday 30 July 2014 - RWC 2015
Krasnoyarsk, the heartbeat of Russian rugby
- Wednesday 30 July 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Captains' excitement as WRWC2014 gets closer
- Tuesday 29 July 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Women's Rugby World Cup launched in Paris
- Monday 28 July 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Sevens stars touch down for Women's World Cup
- Monday 28 July 2014 - RWC 2015
Exeter ready to give Westcountry welcome
- 30 July - South Africa's Warren Whiteley on winning Gold in Glasgow
- 30 July - Sean Fitzpatrick on the extraordinary 1995 World Cup
- 29 July - Sean Fitzpatrick on his early obsession with rugby
- 28 July - Hong Kong's Dai Rees and first, Zimbabwe's Liam Middleton on the repechage
- 28 July - Pablo Lemoine on future of rugby in Uruguay
- 25 July - Barbados prepare for Commonwealth Games in Sutton Coldfield
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 23 July - Development of rugby in Colombia
- 22 July - The Netherlands team profile
- 21 July - In-depth look at rugby in Russia