Former International Rugby Board chairman Fritz Eloff has passed away aged 93.
In a life of dedication to Rugby, Eloff was also a former South Africa Rugby Union President and Chairman as well as a prominent member and supporter of the Blue Bulls. He was a member of the former SA Rugby’s executive committee for 30 years, and served as acting president of the SA RFU in 1993 after the death of Danie Craven.
IRB Vice-Chairman Oregan Hoskins said: “Fritz Eloff was one of the great minds of his time and served with integrity and dignity in many roles in Rugby. He was highly respected by the world Rugby fraternity, as was demonstrated by the numerous awards he received for his services to the Game from all over the world.”
“He played an integral part in the unity of the game in South Africa as well, and his role as an administrator will be remembered for a long time. South African rugby is poorer for the passing of one of its finest administrators,” he told SAPA.
Eloff was IRB Chairman from 1989-90. As a player, he played eight times for Northern Transvaal between 1944 and 1950. He was elected president of the Union in 1965 and served in the role until 1990.
- Thursday 24 July 2014 - RWC 2015
Fitzpatrick: Lomu - our strength and weakness
- Thursday 24 July 2014 - Africa
Madagascar: A hidden rugby gem
- Thursday 24 July 2014 - Press Releases
Top matches for Tier Two nations in November
- Wednesday 23 July 2014 - Commonwealth Games
Commonwealth Games: Rugby's all-rounders
- Tuesday 22 July 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Superbru onboard for #WRWC2014
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 23 July - Development of rugby in Colombia
- 22 July - The Netherlands team profile
- 21 July - In-depth look at rugby in Russia
- 20 July - New Zealand's John Afoa looks back on his career
- 19 July - Sean Fitzpatrick Tackle These
- 18 July - Australia's women look ahead to the Rugby World Cup
- 16 July - Shane Williams on life in Japan
- 15 July - South Africa women's preparation for the World Cup
- 14 July - Humphrey Kayange takes on 'Tackle These'