Former International Rugby Board chairman Fritz Eloff has passed away aged 93.
In a life of dedication to Rugby, Eloff was also a former South Africa Rugby Union President and Chairman as well as a prominent member and supporter of the Blue Bulls. He was a member of the former SA Rugby’s executive committee for 30 years, and served as acting president of the SA RFU in 1993 after the death of Danie Craven.
IRB Vice-Chairman Oregan Hoskins said: “Fritz Eloff was one of the great minds of his time and served with integrity and dignity in many roles in Rugby. He was highly respected by the world Rugby fraternity, as was demonstrated by the numerous awards he received for his services to the Game from all over the world.”
“He played an integral part in the unity of the game in South Africa as well, and his role as an administrator will be remembered for a long time. South African rugby is poorer for the passing of one of its finest administrators,” he told SAPA.
Eloff was IRB Chairman from 1989-90. As a player, he played eight times for Northern Transvaal between 1944 and 1950. He was elected president of the Union in 1965 and served in the role until 1990.
- Thursday 21 August 2014 - RWC 2015
Race continues for "backbone of World Cup"
- Thursday 21 August 2014 - Olympics
Bach and Lapasset thrilled with Olympic debut
- Thursday 21 August 2014 - Oceania
NZ men join strongest ever Oceania Sevens
- Wednesday 20 August 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
World Cup preparation was spot on - Scarratt
- Wednesday 20 August 2014 - Africa
Unions plot path to the TOP
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 20 August - England's Maggie Alphonsi and Emily Scarratt on winning the Women's Rugby World Cup
- 20 August - Heather Moyse on the Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing
- 20 August - An emotional Dom du Toit on Australia's victory at the Youth Olympic Games
- 20 August - France captain Alex Arrate and coach Thierry Janeczeck on winning the men's event at the Youth Olympic Games
- 20 August - Canada's Hannah Darling on winning silver at the Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing
- 20 August - China's Yueying Gao on winning bronze at the Youth Olympics
- 19 August - Serge Betsen on France reaching the final of the men's event at the Youth Olympic Games
- 19 August - Australia's Dom du Toit on reaching the final of the women's sevens event in the Youth Olympic Games
- 19 August - All Blacks legend Zinzan Brooke takes on 'Tackle These'