Former International Rugby Board chairman Fritz Eloff has passed away aged 93.
In a life of dedication to Rugby, Eloff was also a former South Africa Rugby Union President and Chairman as well as a prominent member and supporter of the Blue Bulls. He was a member of the former SA Rugby’s executive committee for 30 years, and served as acting president of the SA RFU in 1993 after the death of Danie Craven.
IRB Vice-Chairman Oregan Hoskins said: “Fritz Eloff was one of the great minds of his time and served with integrity and dignity in many roles in Rugby. He was highly respected by the world Rugby fraternity, as was demonstrated by the numerous awards he received for his services to the Game from all over the world.”
“He played an integral part in the unity of the game in South Africa as well, and his role as an administrator will be remembered for a long time. South African rugby is poorer for the passing of one of its finest administrators,” he told SAPA.
Eloff was IRB Chairman from 1989-90. As a player, he played eight times for Northern Transvaal between 1944 and 1950. He was elected president of the Union in 1965 and served in the role until 1990.
- Tuesday 16 September 2014 - Europe
Belgium's rugby family continues to grow
- Tuesday 16 September 2014 - HSBC Sevens World Series - Australia
Pools drawn for Gold Coast Sevens
- Monday 15 September 2014 - RWC 2015
A World Rankings perspective on RWC 2015
- Saturday 13 September 2014 - Women's Sevens World Series
Fiji, China, France and SA qualify for Series
- Friday 12 September 2014 - RWC 2015
World's largest scrum marks tickets on sale
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 10 September - Chris Robshaw on his career so far
- 09 September - Strength and Conditioning, Behind-the-scenes
- 08 September - Kit man, Behind-the-scenes
- 07 September - Injury Prevention, Behind-the-scenes
- 06 September - Club Chef, Behind-the-scenes
- 05 September - Harlequins Head Coach John Kingston, Behind-the-scenes
- 03 September - Gavin Hastings 'Tackle These'
- 02 September - Ollie Phillips sailing
- 01 September - Robins Tchale-Watchou profile