The International Rugby Board Executive Committee has approved a modification to the television match official (TMO) protocol, which will see the referee have the power to make his own calls from the in-stadium big screen at the match venues.
Up until now, the referee has been permitted to make only foul play decisions based on his viewing of the big screen whereas from now on the referee will be permitted to make all decisions relating to the current TMO protocol in that way. The recommendation was made by a meeting of the IRB's Law Review Group in London last week.
The TMO remains in place but provides the back up for all decisions as and when the referee is unable to make a relevant decision from the big screen – such as when the screen is obscured, of poor quality or environmental conditions (sunlight etc) make it difficult to read.
The process change does not in any way alter what the referee can refer to the TMO and, therefore, there will be no difference to the decisions made via the technology.
The amended protocol has been communicated to Unions and is now effective in all competitions with big screen access, including The Rugby Championship.
- Monday 22 September 2014 - HSBC Sevens World Series - Australia
Aiono returns for Samoa Sevens
- Monday 22 September 2014 -
France Men claim second European Sevens title
- Monday 22 September 2014 - Junior World Rugby Trophy
Uruguay qualify for Junior World Trophy 2015
- Friday 19 September 2014 - RWC 2015
RWC 2015 advises fans to buy official
- Friday 19 September 2014 - Women's Sevens World Series
A breakthrough year for Walsh and Australia
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 10 September - Chris Robshaw on his career so far
- 09 September - Strength and Conditioning, Behind-the-scenes
- 08 September - Kit man, Behind-the-scenes
- 07 September - Injury Prevention, Behind-the-scenes
- 06 September - Club Chef, Behind-the-scenes
- 05 September - Harlequins Head Coach John Kingston, Behind-the-scenes
- 03 September - Gavin Hastings 'Tackle These'
- 02 September - Ollie Phillips sailing
- 01 September - Robins Tchale-Watchou profile