The International Rugby Board Executive Committee has approved a modification to the television match official (TMO) protocol, which will see the referee have the power to make his own calls from the in-stadium big screen at the match venues.
Up until now, the referee has been permitted to make only foul play decisions based on his viewing of the big screen whereas from now on the referee will be permitted to make all decisions relating to the current TMO protocol in that way. The recommendation was made by a meeting of the IRB's Law Review Group in London last week.
The TMO remains in place but provides the back up for all decisions as and when the referee is unable to make a relevant decision from the big screen – such as when the screen is obscured, of poor quality or environmental conditions (sunlight etc) make it difficult to read.
The process change does not in any way alter what the referee can refer to the TMO and, therefore, there will be no difference to the decisions made via the technology.
The amended protocol has been communicated to Unions and is now effective in all competitions with big screen access, including The Rugby Championship.
- Tuesday 22 July 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Superbru onboard for #WRWC2014
- Tuesday 22 July 2014 - RWC 2015
RWC Gold: When Stirling cashed in
- Monday 21 July 2014 - Commonwealth Games
Rugby Sevens at the Commonwealth Games
- Monday 21 July 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Sevens stars put Wallaroos on the attack
- Saturday 19 July 2014 - HSBC Sevens World Series
USA Sevens get their man Friday
- 21 July - In-depth look at rugby in Russia
- 20 July - New Zealand's John Afoa looks back on his career
- 19 July - Sean Fitzpatrick Tackle These
- 18 July - Australia's women look ahead to the Rugby World Cup
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 16 July - Shane Williams on life in Japan
- 15 July - South Africa women's preparation for the World Cup
- 14 July - Humphrey Kayange takes on 'Tackle These'
- 12 July - Kenya coach Jerome Paarwater on improving the side
- 11 July - Rugby World Cup Trophy Tour and Namibia's qualification