The International Rugby Board Executive Committee has approved a modification to the television match official (TMO) protocol, which will see the referee have the power to make his own calls from the in-stadium big screen at the match venues.
Up until now, the referee has been permitted to make only foul play decisions based on his viewing of the big screen whereas from now on the referee will be permitted to make all decisions relating to the current TMO protocol in that way. The recommendation was made by a meeting of the IRB's Law Review Group in London last week.
The TMO remains in place but provides the back up for all decisions as and when the referee is unable to make a relevant decision from the big screen – such as when the screen is obscured, of poor quality or environmental conditions (sunlight etc) make it difficult to read.
The process change does not in any way alter what the referee can refer to the TMO and, therefore, there will be no difference to the decisions made via the technology.
The amended protocol has been communicated to Unions and is now effective in all competitions with big screen access, including The Rugby Championship.
- Monday 1 September 2014 - South America
Colombia start with big win in South America
- Monday 1 September 2014 - Junior World Rugby Trophy
Namibia qualify for Junior World Trophy 2015
- Monday 1 September 2014 - Olympics
Rio 2016 calls for Rugby volunteers
- Friday 29 August 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Ensuring an Impact Beyond WRWC 2014
- Friday 29 August 2014 - South America
Super Week lives up to name in Buenos Aires
- 01 September - Robins Tchale-Watchou profile
- 31 August - Rugby World Cup Trophy Tour - South Africa
- 30 August - Gilbert's new ball for Rugby World Cup 2015
- 29 August - CEO Brett Gosper on the name change from 'IRB' to 'World Rugby'
- 29 August - Feature on Argentina's Manuel Montero
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 25 August - Bhubesi Pride takes rugby to children across Africa
- 25 August - Argentina legend Hugo Porta on his career
- 24 August - (FUN) England's Women talk about what makes them tick
- 23 August - Rugby World Cup volunteers feature