The International Rugby Board has confirmed that Scotland Under 20 player Sam Chalmers has been suspended for two years for an anti-doping offence.
The 19-year-old from Melrose RFC underwent an out-of-competition urine test in May 2013 while in a Scotland Under 20 training camp, ahead of the IRB Junior World Championship.
His sample contained metabolites of methandienone and stanozolol, which are both listed in Section S1.1a Anabolic Androgenic Steroids in the World Anti-Doping Agency’s 2013 list of prohibited substances.
At an IRB Judicial Committee hearing which was held on 28 August, the player accepted that he had committed an anti-doping rule violation.
In considering all aspects of the case, the committee decided to impose a two-year suspension, the minimum allowable under the circumstances, which will run until 11 June 2015.
Read the full written judgement here.
The IRB operates a zero-tolerance policy on doping. Players are solely responsible for any prohibited substance found in their body.
The case highlights the inherent dangers of supplement use and that players need to exercise extreme caution regarding the use of any dietary supplement. No guarantee can be given that any particular supplement, including vitamins, minerals, ergogenic aids or herbal remedies are totally free from prohibited substances.
The IRB has in place a comprehensive education programme which continues to evolve on www.keeprugbyclean.com. The latest e-learning programme was launched in June of this year and highlights the dangers and consequences of doping.
- Tuesday 23 September 2014 - RWC 2015
Watch Russia v Uruguay LIVE
- Tuesday 23 September 2014 - Press Releases
DHL to handle logistics for IRB ConfEx
- Monday 22 September 2014 - RWC 2015
Conrad Smith: NZ were better in '07
- Monday 22 September 2014 - HSBC Sevens World Series
Aiono returns for Samoa Sevens
- Monday 22 September 2014 -
France Men claim second European Sevens title
- 23 September - World's Largest Scrum
- 23 September - Felipe Contepomi on Anti Doping, the Rugby Championship and RWC 2015
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 10 September - Chris Robshaw on his career so far
- 09 September - Strength and Conditioning, Behind-the-scenes
- 08 September - Kit man, Behind-the-scenes
- 07 September - Injury Prevention, Behind-the-scenes
- 06 September - Club Chef, Behind-the-scenes
- 05 September - Harlequins Head Coach John Kingston, Behind-the-scenes
- 03 September - Gavin Hastings 'Tackle These'