In a minor revision to the current protocol surrounding the ongoing scrum engagement global trial, the International Rugby Board has confirmed that referees will use non-verbal communication to indicate to the scrum-half when the ball can be thrown into the scrum.
Up to now as part of the scrum trial, the referee has told the scrum-half that the scrum is ready for the put-in by the use of the phrase “yes nine”. But following an initial review, including consultation with national coaches and referee managers, it has been decided that referees will adopt a non-verbal communication to scrum-halves for the introduction of the ball.
This is in accordance with the relevant law (20.5 Throwing the Ball Into the Scrum).
The change is effective immediately and will include this week’s Heineken Cup and Amlin Challenge Cup matches in the northern hemisphere (January 9-12). It will also include the next rounds of other elite competitions, including the Top 14 in France (January 24), Aviva Premiership in England (February 7-9) and the Rabo Direct Pro 12 in other parts of Europe (February 7-9).
As with the original protocol, it is up to individual Unions to decide whether this change will be adopted at levels below elite Rugby.
- Tuesday 22 July 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Superbru onboard for #WRWC2014
- Tuesday 22 July 2014 - RWC 2015
RWC Gold: When Stirling cashed in
- Monday 21 July 2014 - Commonwealth Games
Rugby Sevens at the Commonwealth Games
- Monday 21 July 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Sevens stars put Wallaroos on the attack
- Saturday 19 July 2014 - HSBC Sevens World Series
USA Sevens get their man Friday
- 21 July - In-depth look at rugby in Russia
- 20 July - New Zealand's John Afoa looks back on his career
- 19 July - Sean Fitzpatrick Tackle These
- 18 July - Australia's women look ahead to the Rugby World Cup
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 16 July - Shane Williams on life in Japan
- 15 July - South Africa women's preparation for the World Cup
- 14 July - Humphrey Kayange takes on 'Tackle These'
- 12 July - Kenya coach Jerome Paarwater on improving the side
- 11 July - Rugby World Cup Trophy Tour and Namibia's qualification