The IRB has given its support to the 2014 IOC World Conference on Prevention of Injury and Illness in Sport and is taking steps to inform the Rugby family and other stakeholders regarding the programme of this important international meeting.
The conference will take place in Monaco from April 10-12 and will take a multidisciplinary perspective on injury and illness prevention for different sports and injury/illness types, including lectures on intervention methods, epidemiology, risk factors and injury mechanisms.
The three-day programme will include five keynote lectures, 24 symposia and numerous workshops, in addition to free communications and posters. Abstracts presented will also be published in a special themed issue of the British Journal of Sports Medicine.
Click here for the 2014 conference website.
IRB Chairman Bernard Lapasset said: “As an active member of the Olympic family, the IRB is and proud to support this prestigious conference. Player welfare is our number-one priority and it is through international, multi-sport initiatives such as this that we can ensure that we are taking the right approach to injury prevention and treatment.”
IRB Chief Medical Officer Dr Martin Raftery said: “This conference is essential for those interested in clinical aspects of sports and exercise medicine, this conference will provide the world’s leading sports medicine experts with an opportunity to present their work to an international audience of physicians, therapists, scientists and coaches."
With more than 120 leaders in their fields lined up as speakers, the conference will present evidence-based information on how to prevent injuries and other health problems in sport with highlights including discussions on concussion, running injuries and how digital and mobile platforms can influence athlete care.
- Wednesday 30 July 2014 - RWC 2015
Krasnoyarsk, the heartbeat of Russian rugby
- Wednesday 30 July 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Captains' excitement as WRWC2014 gets closer
- Wednesday 30 July 2014 - HSBC Sevens
Golden Blitzboks turn attention to Series
- Tuesday 29 July 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Women's Rugby World Cup launched in Paris
- Monday 28 July 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Sevens stars touch down for Women's World Cup
- 30 July - South Africa's Warren Whiteley on winning Gold in Glasgow
- 30 July - Sean Fitzpatrick on the extraordinary 1995 World Cup
- 29 July - Sean Fitzpatrick on his early obsession with rugby
- 28 July - Hong Kong's Dai Rees and first, Zimbabwe's Liam Middleton on the repechage
- 28 July - Pablo Lemoine on future of rugby in Uruguay
- 25 July - Barbados prepare for Commonwealth Games in Sutton Coldfield
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 23 July - Development of rugby in Colombia
- 22 July - The Netherlands team profile
- 21 July - In-depth look at rugby in Russia