The IRB has given its support to the 2014 IOC World Conference on Prevention of Injury and Illness in Sport and is taking steps to inform the Rugby family and other stakeholders regarding the programme of this important international meeting.
The conference will take place in Monaco from April 10-12 and will take a multidisciplinary perspective on injury and illness prevention for different sports and injury/illness types, including lectures on intervention methods, epidemiology, risk factors and injury mechanisms.
The three-day programme will include five keynote lectures, 24 symposia and numerous workshops, in addition to free communications and posters. Abstracts presented will also be published in a special themed issue of the British Journal of Sports Medicine.
Click here for the 2014 conference website.
IRB Chairman Bernard Lapasset said: “As an active member of the Olympic family, the IRB is and proud to support this prestigious conference. Player welfare is our number-one priority and it is through international, multi-sport initiatives such as this that we can ensure that we are taking the right approach to injury prevention and treatment.”
IRB Chief Medical Officer Dr Martin Raftery said: “This conference is essential for those interested in clinical aspects of sports and exercise medicine, this conference will provide the world’s leading sports medicine experts with an opportunity to present their work to an international audience of physicians, therapists, scientists and coaches."
With more than 120 leaders in their fields lined up as speakers, the conference will present evidence-based information on how to prevent injuries and other health problems in sport with highlights including discussions on concussion, running injuries and how digital and mobile platforms can influence athlete care.
- Friday 29 August 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Ensuring an Impact Beyond WRWC 2014
- Friday 29 August 2014 - South America
Super Week lives up to name in Buenos Aires
- Thursday 28 August 2014 - Press Releases
IRB to change name to World Rugby
- Wednesday 27 August 2014 - RWC 2015
Birmingham ready to welcome the world
- Tuesday 26 August 2014 - RWC 2015
South Africa reunited with Webb Ellis Cup
- 29 August - CEO Brett Gosper on the name change from 'IRB' to 'World Rugby'
- 29 August - Feature on Argentina's Manuel Montero
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 25 August - Bhubesi Pride takes rugby to children across Africa
- 25 August - Argentina legend Hugo Porta on his career
- 24 August - (FUN) England's Women talk about what makes them tick
- 23 August - Rugby World Cup volunteers feature
- 22 August - A round-up of the action at the Youth Olympic Games in China
- 22 August - A report looking back on the Women's Rugby World Cup
- 20 August - England's Maggie Alphonsi and Emily Scarratt on winning the Women's Rugby World Cup