The IRB has moved a step closer to securing the .RUGBY internet domain name after the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC) ruled that the Game’s global governing body is the appropriate steward for the key property.
With the ICANN-run process nearing its conclusion, the ICC made its key ruling after considering detailed community objection submissions against the two competing commercial applications by the IRB on behalf of all facets of the global Rugby community.
The IRB is now the sole successful applicant in the process to secure the domain name.
The ICC recognised the IRB’s mission to grow participation, profile and engagement globally and acknowledged the leading role that the IRB has played in delivering record investment, strong tournaments, development, participation, player welfare strategies, strong regulation and Olympic Games inclusion to double participation to six million within the past five years.
IRB Chief Executive Brett Gosper has welcomed the key decision: “The ICC decision is a significant development in our mission to secure the .RUGBY domain name on behalf of the global Rugby community.”
“I would like to thank our Unions, competitions, players and fans who have united behind the campaign. The IRB is determined to keep the .RUGBY domain within the sport for the benefit of the global Rugby community in order to uphold and promote the sport of Rugby’s values and ethos and to protect the sport, its trademarks and the interests of its core stakeholders.”
“The IRB is committed to ensuring .RUGBY is used in the best interests of the Game and the Rugby community and we will ensure that it is used to promote the sport and its character-building values while protecting the integrity of the sport.”
The IRB’s application, in partnership with industry experts and Top Level Domain Holdings Limited and Roar Domains LLC, is founded on a mandate from the IRB’s global membership of 119 national Member Unions affiliated to the IRB through six Regional Associations.
- Friday 22 August 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
World Cup was simply incredible - Carty
- Friday 22 August 2014 - IRB Hall of Fame
Eleven NZ greats inducted into Hall of Fame
- Thursday 21 August 2014 - RWC 2015
Race continues for "backbone of World Cup"
- Thursday 21 August 2014 - Olympics
Bach and Lapasset thrilled with Olympic debut
- Thursday 21 August 2014 - Oceania
NZ men join strongest ever Oceania Sevens
- 22 August - A round-up of the action at the Youth Olympic Games in China
- 22 August - A report looking back on the Women's Rugby World Cup
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 20 August - England's Maggie Alphonsi and Emily Scarratt on winning the Women's Rugby World Cup
- 20 August - Heather Moyse on the Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing
- 20 August - An emotional Dom du Toit on Australia's victory at the Youth Olympic Games
- 20 August - France captain Alex Arrate and coach Thierry Janeczeck on winning the men's event at the Youth Olympic Games
- 20 August - Canada's Hannah Darling on winning silver at the Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing
- 20 August - China's Yueying Gao on winning bronze at the Youth Olympics
- 19 August - Serge Betsen on France reaching the final of the men's event at the Youth Olympic Games