The International Rugby Board has appointed an experienced squad of referees for the Rugby Sevens competition in the Commonwealth Games 2014 which will take place in Glasgow on July 26 and 27.
All eight referees are veterans of the HSBC Sevens World Series (SWS) while five have also taken charge of matches in the Rugby World Cup Sevens 2013 (RWC Sevens) in Moscow.
South Africa and Australia contributes two referees each to the squad while there is one referee from each of Wales, Scotland, New Zealand and England.
IRB High Performance Sevens Referee Manager Paddy O’Brien said: “We have selected a highly experienced team with all having been on the HSBC Sevens World Series circuit for at least two years and, in that time, they have refereed dozens of matches each.”
“All eight referees have proved themselves to be comfortable at this level of competition and it will be another opportunity for them to develop ahead of Rugby Sevens’ introduction to the Olympic Games 2016 in Rio de Janeiro.”
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT RUGBY SEVENS IN THE COMMONWEALTH GAMES 2014 >>
The panel of referees includes: Marius van der Westhuizen (SARU, 53 appearances in the SWS and six in RWC Sevens), Rasta Rasivhenge (SARU, 98 SWS and six RWC Sevens), Rhys Thomas (WRU, 54 SWS and seven RWC Sevens), James Matthew (SRU, 36 SWS), Matthew O’Brien (ARU, 91 SWS and six RWC Sevens), Nick Briant (NZRU, 67 SWS), Ian Tempest (RFU, 46 SWS), Anthony Moyes (ARU, 129 SWS and six RWC Sevens).
- Friday 7 March 2014 - Olympics
Rugby Sevens primed for ODESUR Games in Chile
- Friday 7 March 2014 - RWC 2015
England and Wales set for RWC 2015 rehearsal
- Friday 7 March 2014 - World Rankings
Fourth at stake when RWC 2015 rivals meet
- Friday 7 March 2014 - HSBC Sevens World Series
"Probably the most important year for Sevens"
- Thursday 6 March 2014 - Total Rugby Radio
Total Rugby Radio - Listen now!
- 7 March - England v Wales: Rugby World Cup memories and dreams
- 07 March - Andy Robinson looks ahead to the penultimate round of the Six Nations
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 03 March - Alain Rolland looks back over his distinguished refereeing career
- 28 February - Andy Robinson looks back on round 3 of the Six Nations