The International Rugby Board has appointed an experienced squad of referees for the Rugby Sevens competition in the Commonwealth Games 2014 which will take place in Glasgow on July 26 and 27.
All eight referees are veterans of the HSBC Sevens World Series (SWS) while five have also taken charge of matches in the Rugby World Cup Sevens 2013 (RWC Sevens) in Moscow.
South Africa and Australia contributes two referees each to the squad while there is one referee from each of Wales, Scotland, New Zealand and England.
IRB High Performance Sevens Referee Manager Paddy O’Brien said: “We have selected a highly experienced team with all having been on the HSBC Sevens World Series circuit for at least two years and, in that time, they have refereed dozens of matches each.”
“All eight referees have proved themselves to be comfortable at this level of competition and it will be another opportunity for them to develop ahead of Rugby Sevens’ introduction to the Olympic Games 2016 in Rio de Janeiro.”
CLICK HERE FOR MORE INFORMATION ABOUT RUGBY SEVENS IN THE COMMONWEALTH GAMES 2014 >>
The panel of referees includes: Marius van der Westhuizen (SARU, 53 appearances in the SWS and six in RWC Sevens), Rasta Rasivhenge (SARU, 98 SWS and six RWC Sevens), Rhys Thomas (WRU, 54 SWS and seven RWC Sevens), James Matthew (SRU, 36 SWS), Matthew O’Brien (ARU, 91 SWS and six RWC Sevens), Nick Briant (NZRU, 67 SWS), Ian Tempest (RFU, 46 SWS), Anthony Moyes (ARU, 129 SWS and six RWC Sevens).
- Monday 1 September 2014 - South America
Colombia start with big win in South America
- Monday 1 September 2014 - Junior World Rugby Trophy
Namibia qualify for Junior World Trophy 2015
- Monday 1 September 2014 - Olympics
Rio 2016 calls for Rugby volunteers
- Monday 1 September 2014 - RWC 2015
Too Big To Miss
- Friday 29 August 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Ensuring an Impact Beyond WRWC 2014
- 02 September - Ollie Phillips sailing
- 01 September - Robins Tchale-Watchou profile
- 31 August - Rugby World Cup Trophy Tour - South Africa
- 30 August - Gilbert's new ball for Rugby World Cup 2015
- 29 August - CEO Brett Gosper on the name change from 'IRB' to 'World Rugby'
- 29 August - Feature on Argentina's Manuel Montero
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 25 August - Bhubesi Pride takes rugby to children across Africa
- 25 August - Argentina legend Hugo Porta on his career
- 24 August - (FUN) England's Women talk about what makes them tick