Rugby proved to be the most popular event at last year’s World Games in Cali, Colombia, the organisers have revealed, giving a further boost to the sport as it prepares to return to the Olympic Games in two years’ time.
Out of 31 official sports and five invitational events, the biggest crowd recorded was 17,950 at the final of the Rugby Sevens tournament between South Africa and Argentina in the Pascual Guerrero Stadium on August 2 last.
In total, the figures show that 408,198 tickets were sold, out of 520,000 distributed, while venues were on average 76 per cent full across the entire World Games. These figures will be presented to the forthcoming AGM of the International World Games Association when the Board gives its report on the ninth edition of the event.
IRB Chairman Bernard Lapasset said: “Rugby is excited to be at the top of this list and we are proud that we helped to make the World Games such a popular success.
“As we prepare to introduce Sevens to the Olympic Games summer programme at Rio de Janeiro in 2016, it is encouraging for us that we are proving to be a hit at other multi-sport events, especially given this was also in South America.”
A more detailed look at the ticket sales shows that 64 (of 106) events were sold out or almost sold out (more than 97 per cent of tickets sold). The largest crowds were attracted by the opening and closing ceremonies, with 31,000 spectators at each.
- Monday 20 October 2014 - RWC 2015
All Blacks improve rankings score
- Monday 20 October 2014 - Press Releases
Olympic Sevens panel announced for #IRBConfEx
- Monday 20 October 2014 - Americas
Jaguars sign off in style at ARC
- Saturday 18 October 2014 - RWC 2015
Los Teros begin countdown to Cardiff
- Friday 17 October 2014 - RWC 2015
Try Outs touch down in Leeds
- 21 October - Jonny Wilkinson on life after rugby
- 20 October - Australia player Emilee Cherry looks ahead to the start of the Women's Sevens Series
- 18 October - Cameron Clark on playing for Australia sevens
- 17 October - Sweden's Jennifer Sundqvist on 30 years of Women's rugby in the country
- 17 October - Gold Coast Sevens review
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 15 October - Martin Johnson's 'Tackle These'
- 14 October - Martin Johnson and Chris Robshaw on leadership
- 13 October - Uruguay's reaction to securing a place in Rugby World Cup Pool A
- 13 October - Russia's reaction to missing out on Rugby World Cup 2015