Georgia will again welcome top international Rugby this year as it was announced today that the country would host the IRB Tbilisi Cup in June.
Spain, Emerging Italy and Argentina Jaguars will join the hosts from June 14 to 22 in the Georgian capital for yet another opportunity for Tier Two nations to play competitive games in the run up to next year's Rugby World Cup.
The round-robin competition will be played across three match days – June 14, 18 and 22 – at the Avchala Stadium in Tbilisi.
The Tbilisi Cup, which is funded by the International Rugby Board, plays a very important high-performance role for participating nations and for the ongoing growth of Rugby in Georgia.
IRB Head of Competitions and Performance Mark Egan said: “Georgia recently qualified for Rugby World Cup 2015 after a tremendous unbeaten run in the FIRA-AER European Nations Cup Division 1A, which culminated in a fantastic victory against Romania in Tbilisi, which again showcased the Union’s ability to host great Rugby matches.”
“Hosting the IRB Tbilisi Cup this year will give Georgia a good opportunity to test their progress against tough international opposition such as Emerging Italy, Argentina Jaguars and Spain, while also gaining invaluable squad preparation and experience for next year’s Rugby World Cup.”
President of the Georgian Rugby Union George Nijaradze said: “I would like to thank IRB for this opportunity to host the IRB Tbilisi Cup once again. This tournament is beneficial for the development of Georgian Rugby and its popularisation within the country and worldwide.”
“It is great for Georgian Rugby fans, who love to watch Rugby tournaments of such a high level.”
IRB Tbilisi Cup 2014 Fixtures (all times are local)
Saturday, June 14
17:00 - Georgia v Spain
19:00 - Emerging Italy v Argentina Jaguars
Wednesday, June 18
17:00 - Georgia v Argentina Jaguars
19:00 - Emerging Italy v Spain
Sunday, June 22
17:00 - Georgia v Emerging Italy
19:00 - Argentina Jaguars v Spain
- Wednesday 22 October 2014 - RWC 2015
RWC 2015: Pool A profile
- Tuesday 21 October 2014 - Europe
The power of rugby to break down borders
- Monday 20 October 2014 - RWC 2015
All Blacks improve rankings total
- Monday 20 October 2014 - Press Releases
Olympic Sevens panel announced for #IRBConfEx
- Monday 20 October 2014 - Americas
Jaguars sign off in style at ARC
- 21 October - Jonny Wilkinson on life after rugby
- 20 October - Australia player Emilee Cherry looks ahead to the start of the Women's Sevens World Series
- 18 October - Cameron Clark on playing for Australia sevens
- 17 October - Sweden's Jennifer Sundqvist on 30 years of Women's rugby in the country
- 17 October - Gold Coast Sevens review
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 15 October - Martin Johnson's 'Tackle These'
- 14 October - Martin Johnson and Chris Robshaw on leadership
- 13 October - Uruguay's reaction to securing a place in Rugby World Cup Pool A
- 13 October - Russia's reaction to missing out on Rugby World Cup 2015