As a result of the introduction of the 5 metre offside line at the scrum, there is a need to establish the offside lines which apply to a scrum half.
The non-ball-winning scrum half can follow the ball. The scrum half must stay behind the ball which is the offside line.
The non-ball-winning scrum half may also move to the offside line at the hindmost foot of the scrum but must not move away from the scrum and must not overstep that offside line. The non-ball-winning scrum half can move between the positions a and b.
The non-ball-winning scrum half may decide to move to or beyond the offside line 5 metres behind the hindmost foot of that player’s team, but once there, must remain behind the offside line until the scrum is over.
|More information (download, PDF format)|
|EN - ELV 12|
Law 20.12 OFFSIDE AT THE SCRUM
(d) The scrum half whose team does not win possession of the ball must not move to the opposite side of the scrum and overstep the offside line. For that scrum half that runs through the hindmost foot of that player’s team in the scrum.
Penalty: Penalty Kick
(e) The scrum half whose team does not win possession of the ball must not move away from the scrum and then remain in front of the offside line. For that scrum half that runs through the hindmost foot of that player’s team in the scrum.
Penalty: Penalty Kick
- Wednesday 22 October 2014 - RWC 2015
RWC 2015: Pool A profile
- Tuesday 21 October 2014 - Europe
The power of rugby to break down borders
- Monday 20 October 2014 - RWC 2015
All Blacks improve rankings total
- Monday 20 October 2014 - Press Releases
Olympic Sevens panel announced for #IRBConfEx
- Monday 20 October 2014 - Americas
Jaguars sign off in style at ARC
- 21 October - Jonny Wilkinson on life after rugby
- 20 October - Australia player Emilee Cherry looks ahead to the start of the Women's Sevens World Series
- 18 October - Cameron Clark on playing for Australia sevens
- 17 October - Sweden's Jennifer Sundqvist on 30 years of Women's rugby in the country
- 17 October - Gold Coast Sevens review
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 15 October - Martin Johnson's 'Tackle These'
- 14 October - Martin Johnson and Chris Robshaw on leadership
- 13 October - Uruguay's reaction to securing a place in Rugby World Cup Pool A
- 13 October - Russia's reaction to missing out on Rugby World Cup 2015