A try will no longer be disallowed if the ball carrier touches the corner post before grounding the ball as long as that player has not otherwise been in touch.
A try will still be disallowed if the ball is grounded against the corner post.
If the ball hits the corner post and bounces back into the playing area, the game continues.
This Experimental Law Variation is designed to avoid tries being disallowed simply because a player has taken out the corner post. It will also serve to simplify the role of the Television Match Official who will no longer need to discern whether the player made contact with the corner post before grounding the ball.
|More information (download, PDF format)|
|EN - ELV 13|
Law 20.12 OFFSIDE AT THE SCRUM
(d) The scrum half whose team does not win possession of the ball must not move to the opposite side of the scrum and overstep the offside line. For that scrum half that runs through the hindmost foot of that player’s team in the scrum.
Penalty: Penalty Kick
(e) The scrum half whose team does not win possession of the ball must not move away from the scrum and then remain in front of the offside line. For that scrum half that runs through the hindmost foot of that player’s team in the scrum.
Penalty: Penalty Kick
- Tuesday 16 September 2014 - Europe
Belgium's rugby family continues to grow
- Tuesday 16 September 2014 - HSBC Sevens World Series - Australia
Pools drawn for Gold Coast Sevens
- Monday 15 September 2014 - RWC 2015
A World Rankings perspective on RWC 2015
- Saturday 13 September 2014 - Women's Sevens World Series
Fiji, China, France and SA qualify for Series
- Friday 12 September 2014 - RWC 2015
World's largest scrum marks tickets on sale
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 10 September - Chris Robshaw on his career so far
- 09 September - Strength and Conditioning, Behind-the-scenes
- 08 September - Kit man, Behind-the-scenes
- 07 September - Injury Prevention, Behind-the-scenes
- 06 September - Club Chef, Behind-the-scenes
- 05 September - Harlequins Head Coach John Kingston, Behind-the-scenes
- 03 September - Gavin Hastings 'Tackle These'
- 02 September - Ollie Phillips sailing
- 01 September - Robins Tchale-Watchou profile