Learning about a new sport can be daunting for players, coaches and spectators alike, but help is at hand with ‘A Beginner’s Guide to Rugby Union’ that has been created by the International Rugby Board.
The brainchild of IRB Chief Executive Mike Miller, the Beginner’s Guide is specifically targeted at new players, coaches, parents and spectators who know nothing or very little about the Game of Rugby.
The Guide is currently available in six languages – English, French, Spanish, Chinese, Russian and Portuguese – and will shortly become the first IRB resource to be published in Hindi. Further Guides in Italian and Japanese will follow.
“The Guide provides beginners with an explanation of Rugby’s history, ethos, some key elements of the Game, what the various positions do and the physical and technical skills they require,” explained IRB Training Manager Mark Harrington.
“It also gives a brief explanation of refereeing and why the whistle blew, as well as directing them to some other resources, advising how to join a club and more.
“We would ask that our Member Unions distribute this Beginner’s Guide as widely as possible and also place it on their own websites to ensure it reaches as many people as possible.”
- Friday 7 December 2012 - Asia
Hong Kong keen to develop and retain title
- Thursday 6 December 2012 - Training and development
IRB aims for over 6 million players by 2016
- Wednesday 5 December 2012 - RWC Sevens 2013 - Women
England Women name RWC Sevens training squad
- Wednesday 5 December 2012 - Women's Sevens World Series USA
Tickets on sale for Houston Women's Sevens
- Monday 1 September 2014 - South America
Colombia start with big win in South America
- Monday 1 September 2014 - Junior World Rugby Trophy
Namibia qualify for Junior World Trophy 2015
- Monday 1 September 2014 - Olympics
Rio 2016 calls for Rugby volunteers
- Monday 1 September 2014 - RWC 2015
Too Big To Miss
- Friday 29 August 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Ensuring an Impact Beyond WRWC 2014
- 03 September - Gavin Hastings 'Tackle These'
- 02 September - Ollie Phillips sailing
- 01 September - Robins Tchale-Watchou profile
- 31 August - Rugby World Cup Trophy Tour - South Africa
- 30 August - Gilbert's new ball for Rugby World Cup 2015
- 29 August - CEO Brett Gosper on the name change from 'IRB' to 'World Rugby'
- 29 August - Feature on Argentina's Manuel Montero
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 25 August - Bhubesi Pride takes rugby to children across Africa
- 25 August - Argentina legend Hugo Porta on his career