Learning about a new sport can be daunting for players, coaches and spectators alike, but help is at hand with ‘A Beginner’s Guide to Rugby Union’ that has been created by the International Rugby Board.
The brainchild of IRB Chief Executive Mike Miller, the Beginner’s Guide is specifically targeted at new players, coaches, parents and spectators who know nothing or very little about the Game of Rugby.
The Guide is currently available in six languages – English, French, Spanish, Chinese, Russian and Portuguese – and will shortly become the first IRB resource to be published in Hindi. Further Guides in Italian and Japanese will follow.
“The Guide provides beginners with an explanation of Rugby’s history, ethos, some key elements of the Game, what the various positions do and the physical and technical skills they require,” explained IRB Training Manager Mark Harrington.
“It also gives a brief explanation of refereeing and why the whistle blew, as well as directing them to some other resources, advising how to join a club and more.
“We would ask that our Member Unions distribute this Beginner’s Guide as widely as possible and also place it on their own websites to ensure it reaches as many people as possible.”
- Friday 7 December 2012 - Asia
Hong Kong keen to develop and retain title
- Thursday 6 December 2012 - Training and development
IRB aims for over 6 million players by 2016
- Wednesday 5 December 2012 - RWC Sevens 2013 - Women
England Women name RWC Sevens training squad
- Wednesday 5 December 2012 - Women's Sevens World Series USA
Tickets on sale for Houston Women's Sevens
- Friday 22 August 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
World Cup was simply incredible - Carty
- Friday 22 August 2014 - IRB Hall of Fame
Eleven NZ greats inducted into Hall of Fame
- Thursday 21 August 2014 - RWC 2015
Race continues for "backbone of World Cup"
- Thursday 21 August 2014 - Olympics
Bach and Lapasset thrilled with Olympic debut
- Thursday 21 August 2014 - Oceania
NZ men join strongest ever Oceania Sevens
- 23 August - Rugby World Cup volunteers feature
- 22 August - A round-up of the action at the Youth Olympic Games in China
- 22 August - A report looking back on the Women's Rugby World Cup
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 20 August - England's Maggie Alphonsi and Emily Scarratt on winning the Women's Rugby World Cup
- 20 August - Heather Moyse on the Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing
- 20 August - An emotional Dom du Toit on Australia's victory at the Youth Olympic Games
- 20 August - France captain Alex Arrate and coach Thierry Janeczeck on winning the men's event at the Youth Olympic Games
- 20 August - Canada's Hannah Darling on winning silver at the Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing
- 20 August - China's Yueying Gao on winning bronze at the Youth Olympics