Learning about a new sport can be daunting for players, coaches and spectators alike, but help is at hand with ‘A Beginner’s Guide to Rugby Union’ that has been created by the International Rugby Board.
The brainchild of IRB Chief Executive Mike Miller, the Beginner’s Guide is specifically targeted at new players, coaches, parents and spectators who know nothing or very little about the Game of Rugby.
The Guide is currently available in six languages – English, French, Spanish, Chinese, Russian and Portuguese – and will shortly become the first IRB resource to be published in Hindi. Further Guides in Italian and Japanese will follow.
“The Guide provides beginners with an explanation of Rugby’s history, ethos, some key elements of the Game, what the various positions do and the physical and technical skills they require,” explained IRB Training Manager Mark Harrington.
“It also gives a brief explanation of refereeing and why the whistle blew, as well as directing them to some other resources, advising how to join a club and more.
“We would ask that our Member Unions distribute this Beginner’s Guide as widely as possible and also place it on their own websites to ensure it reaches as many people as possible.”
- Friday 7 December 2012 - Asia
Hong Kong keen to develop and retain title
- Thursday 6 December 2012 - Training and development
IRB aims for over 6 million players by 2016
- Wednesday 5 December 2012 - RWC Sevens 2013 - Women
England Women name RWC Sevens training squad
- Wednesday 5 December 2012 - Women's Sevens World Series USA
Tickets on sale for Houston Women's Sevens
- Friday 24 October 2014 - RWC 2015
Leeds set for clash of continents
- Friday 24 October 2014 -
Australia Sevens stars land top awards
- Thursday 23 October 2014 - Junior World Rugby Trophy
Euro hosts Portugal prepare for JWRT 2015
- Thursday 23 October 2014 - Awards
Ray Williams wins prestigious IRB Award
- Thursday 23 October 2014 - RWC 2015
Record demand for RWC 2015 tickets
- 25 October - Brazil Sevens in South Africa
- 24 October - England's oldest schools match
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 21 October - Jonny Wilkinson on life after rugby
- 20 October - Australia player Emilee Cherry looks ahead to the start of the Women's Sevens World Series
- 18 October - Cameron Clark on playing for Australia sevens
- 17 October - Sweden's Jennifer Sundqvist on 30 years of Women's rugby in the country
- 17 October - Gold Coast Sevens review
- 15 October - Martin Johnson's 'Tackle These'
- 14 October - Martin Johnson and Chris Robshaw on leadership