On the eve of the USA Sevens in Las Vegas, USA Rugby will host a Sports Medicine Symposium at the MGM Grand on 11 February, featuring expert speakers who will deliver presentations on cutting-edge sports medicine and science relevant to all medical professional who are currently working in or aim to be involved in rugby.
Held in conjunction with a world leader in sports medicine, the Ohio State University, the Symposium will feature speakers from USA Rugby’s national team medical staff, the US Anti-Doping Agency, as well as team physicians from the Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, Ohio State University and the University of Michigan.
Among the topics to be discussed in the Symposium are medical concerns in the female rugby player, general medical emergencies in rugby, spine trauma, concussion, thoracic and abdominal injuries and an anti-doping update.
“Player safety and health is always the most important thing and being up-to-speed on sports science is crucial to keeping players healthy and enjoying rugby,” said Mike Keating, USA Rugby Director of Medical Services and Symposium organiser.
“This event will be enormously beneficial to anyone who is involved in sports and medicine. People on the cutting edge of sports medicine will be sharing their knowledge in a great city around the great event of the USA Sevens.”
The USA Rugby Sports Medicine Symposium will take place three months after the International Rugby Board held its own three-day Medical Conference in London with the central themes of strategies in injury prevention and education.
- Monday 1 September 2014 - South America
Colombia start with big win in South America
- Monday 1 September 2014 - Junior World Rugby Trophy
Namibia qualify for Junior World Trophy 2015
- Monday 1 September 2014 - Olympics
Rio 2016 calls for Rugby volunteers
- Monday 1 September 2014 - RWC 2015
Too Big To Miss
- Friday 29 August 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Ensuring an Impact Beyond WRWC 2014
- 03 September - Gavin Hastings 'Tackle These'
- 02 September - Ollie Phillips sailing
- 01 September - Robins Tchale-Watchou profile
- 31 August - Rugby World Cup Trophy Tour - South Africa
- 30 August - Gilbert's new ball for Rugby World Cup 2015
- 29 August - CEO Brett Gosper on the name change from 'IRB' to 'World Rugby'
- 29 August - Feature on Argentina's Manuel Montero
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 25 August - Bhubesi Pride takes rugby to children across Africa
- 25 August - Argentina legend Hugo Porta on his career