On the eve of the USA Sevens in Las Vegas, USA Rugby will host a Sports Medicine Symposium at the MGM Grand on 11 February, featuring expert speakers who will deliver presentations on cutting-edge sports medicine and science relevant to all medical professional who are currently working in or aim to be involved in rugby.
Held in conjunction with a world leader in sports medicine, the Ohio State University, the Symposium will feature speakers from USA Rugby’s national team medical staff, the US Anti-Doping Agency, as well as team physicians from the Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, Ohio State University and the University of Michigan.
Among the topics to be discussed in the Symposium are medical concerns in the female rugby player, general medical emergencies in rugby, spine trauma, concussion, thoracic and abdominal injuries and an anti-doping update.
“Player safety and health is always the most important thing and being up-to-speed on sports science is crucial to keeping players healthy and enjoying rugby,” said Mike Keating, USA Rugby Director of Medical Services and Symposium organiser.
“This event will be enormously beneficial to anyone who is involved in sports and medicine. People on the cutting edge of sports medicine will be sharing their knowledge in a great city around the great event of the USA Sevens.”
The USA Rugby Sports Medicine Symposium will take place three months after the International Rugby Board held its own three-day Medical Conference in London with the central themes of strategies in injury prevention and education.
- Tuesday 22 July 2014 - RWC 2015
RWC Gold: When Stirling cashed in
- Monday 21 July 2014 - Commonwealth Games
Rugby Sevens at the Commonwealth Games
- Monday 21 July 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Sevens stars put Wallaroos on the attack
- Saturday 19 July 2014 - HSBC Sevens World Series
USA Sevens get their man Friday
- Friday 18 July 2014 - Press Releases
IRB welcomes independent concussion study
- 21 July - In-depth look at rugby in Russia
- 20 July - New Zealand's John Afoa looks back on his career
- 19 July - Sean Fitzpatrick Tackle These
- 18 July - Australia's women look ahead to the Rugby World Cup
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 16 July - Shane Williams on life in Japan
- 15 July - South Africa women's preparation for the World Cup
- 14 July - Humphrey Kayange takes on 'Tackle These'
- 12 July - Kenya coach Jerome Paarwater on improving the side
- 11 July - Rugby World Cup Trophy Tour and Namibia's qualification