On the eve of the USA Sevens in Las Vegas, USA Rugby will host a Sports Medicine Symposium at the MGM Grand on 11 February, featuring expert speakers who will deliver presentations on cutting-edge sports medicine and science relevant to all medical professional who are currently working in or aim to be involved in rugby.
Held in conjunction with a world leader in sports medicine, the Ohio State University, the Symposium will feature speakers from USA Rugby’s national team medical staff, the US Anti-Doping Agency, as well as team physicians from the Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, Ohio State University and the University of Michigan.
Among the topics to be discussed in the Symposium are medical concerns in the female rugby player, general medical emergencies in rugby, spine trauma, concussion, thoracic and abdominal injuries and an anti-doping update.
“Player safety and health is always the most important thing and being up-to-speed on sports science is crucial to keeping players healthy and enjoying rugby,” said Mike Keating, USA Rugby Director of Medical Services and Symposium organiser.
“This event will be enormously beneficial to anyone who is involved in sports and medicine. People on the cutting edge of sports medicine will be sharing their knowledge in a great city around the great event of the USA Sevens.”
The USA Rugby Sports Medicine Symposium will take place three months after the International Rugby Board held its own three-day Medical Conference in London with the central themes of strategies in injury prevention and education.
- Friday 1 August 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
WRWC 2014 - Day one LIVE!
- Friday 1 August 2014 -
NZ prepare to defend Women's RWC title
- Friday 1 August 2014 - RWC 2015
Middleton: World Cup huge for all Zimbabwe
- Thursday 31 July 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Total Rugby: Women's Rugby World Cup special!
- Thursday 31 July 2014 - IRB Women's Sevens Series
Host cities announced for women's series
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 30 July - South Africa's Warren Whiteley on winning Gold in Glasgow
- 30 July - Sean Fitzpatrick on the extraordinary 1995 World Cup
- 29 July - Sean Fitzpatrick on his early obsession with rugby
- 28 July - Hong Kong's Dai Rees and first, Zimbabwe's Liam Middleton on the repechage
- 28 July - Pablo Lemoine on future of rugby in Uruguay
- 25 July - Barbados prepare for Commonwealth Games in Sutton Coldfield
- 23 July - Development of rugby in Colombia
- 22 July - The Netherlands team profile
- 21 July - In-depth look at rugby in Russia