On the eve of the USA Sevens in Las Vegas, USA Rugby will host a Sports Medicine Symposium at the MGM Grand on 11 February, featuring expert speakers who will deliver presentations on cutting-edge sports medicine and science relevant to all medical professional who are currently working in or aim to be involved in rugby.
Held in conjunction with a world leader in sports medicine, the Ohio State University, the Symposium will feature speakers from USA Rugby’s national team medical staff, the US Anti-Doping Agency, as well as team physicians from the Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers, Ohio State University and the University of Michigan.
Among the topics to be discussed in the Symposium are medical concerns in the female rugby player, general medical emergencies in rugby, spine trauma, concussion, thoracic and abdominal injuries and an anti-doping update.
“Player safety and health is always the most important thing and being up-to-speed on sports science is crucial to keeping players healthy and enjoying rugby,” said Mike Keating, USA Rugby Director of Medical Services and Symposium organiser.
“This event will be enormously beneficial to anyone who is involved in sports and medicine. People on the cutting edge of sports medicine will be sharing their knowledge in a great city around the great event of the USA Sevens.”
The USA Rugby Sports Medicine Symposium will take place three months after the International Rugby Board held its own three-day Medical Conference in London with the central themes of strategies in injury prevention and education.
- Thursday 23 October 2014 - Junior World Rugby Trophy
Euro hosts Portugal prepare for JWRT 2015
- Thursday 23 October 2014 - Awards
Ray Williams wins prestigious IRB Award
- Thursday 23 October 2014 - RWC 2015
Record demand for RWC 2015 tickets
- Wednesday 22 October 2014 - RWC 2015
RWC 2015: Pool A profile
- Tuesday 21 October 2014 - Europe
The power of rugby to break down borders
- 24 October - England's oldest schools match
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 21 October - Jonny Wilkinson on life after rugby
- 20 October - Australia player Emilee Cherry looks ahead to the start of the Women's Sevens World Series
- 18 October - Cameron Clark on playing for Australia sevens
- 17 October - Sweden's Jennifer Sundqvist on 30 years of Women's rugby in the country
- 17 October - Gold Coast Sevens review
- 15 October - Martin Johnson's 'Tackle These'
- 14 October - Martin Johnson and Chris Robshaw on leadership
- 13 October - Uruguay's reaction to securing a place in Rugby World Cup Pool A