A number of Springbok rugby players have given 67 minutes of their time in Langa and Eldorado Park on Thursday as part of the international Mandela Day campaign.
Former South African President Nelson Mandela turned 95 on Thursday, his birthday sparking the usual Mandela Day celebrations and efforts.
The objective of Mandela Day is to inspire individuals to take action to help change the world for the better, and in doing so build a global movement for good. Mandela spent more than 67 years serving his community, his country and the world and the number has become symbolic of how people can do the same.
Springbok captain Jean de Villiers, backs Juan de Jongh and Gio Aplon and loose forward Siya Kolisi spent their 67 minutes at the Siyabulela Primary School in Langa outside Cape Town.
As part of the recently-launched 'Boks for Books' campaign, the four Springbok and DHL Stormers stars read to pupils in the school and participated in a Tag Rugby Clinic.
Boks for Books
“Boks for Books is a superb initiative by SARU and it was really humbling to be able to tie it in with giving back on Mandela Day,” said De Villiers.
“We’re very fortunate that we are able to give back to the people and to serve fellow South Africans, no matter where they are from. I’ve experienced first-hand how rugby can play a role in uplifting our countrymen and it’s something that is very dear to me.”
Meanwhile, in Eldorado Park in Soweto, Springbok and Vodacom Bulls loose forwards Pierre Spies and Arno Botha, both currently injured, got their hands dirty by planting trees at Kremetart Park and painting walls at the Andries Meyer Old Age Home.
This was part of a Mandela Day initiative which was organised by Minister of Sport and Recreation, Hon. MP Fikile Mbalula.
“I’m not the world’s greatest gardener or painter, but this was a superb opportunity to lend a hand in communities where people are not as fortunate as we are,” said Spies.
“By making contributions which may seem small to you, you can make a big difference in the life of others.”
- Thursday 18 July 2013 - Development
Springboks give 67 minutes on Mandela Day
- Wednesday 17 July 2013 - Press Releases
Rugby reaffirms concussion commitment
- Wednesday 17 July 2013 - Olympics
Russia win both golds at University Games
- Tuesday 16 July 2013 - Press Releases
Conference aims to "Grow the Rugby Family"
- Thursday 30 October 2014 - Europe
Euro women set for battle of Waterloo
- Thursday 30 October 2014 - Junior World Rugby Trophy
Portugal - Georgia in Euro Under 19 final
- Wednesday 29 October 2014 - RWC 2015
RWC 2015: Pool B profile
- Tuesday 28 October 2014 - Press Releases
Land Rover named as partner for ConfEx 2014
- Tuesday 28 October 2014 - RWC 2015
Trophy Tour ready for American adventure
- 31 October - Lewis Moody looks ahead to the November internationals
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 28 October - Rugby in Hawaii
- 27 October - Rugby World Cup Memory - France v New Zealand 1999 semi-final
- 26 October - Parisian Rugby
- 25 October - Brazil Sevens in South Africa
- 24 October - England's oldest schools match
- 21 October - Jonny Wilkinson on life after rugby
- 20 October - Australia player Emilee Cherry looks ahead to the start of the Women's Sevens World Series
- 18 October - Cameron Clark on playing for Australia sevens