Kazakhstan scored three tries to beat host nation Sri Lanka 24-17 in the final of the Rugby Asiad in Colombo on Saturday – only a week after their female counterparts had been crowned Asian champions.
Denis Cherkashin scored two of Kazakhstan’s tries as they denied the enthusiastic home crowd the victory they craved, despite having flanker Mikhail Solovyer sin-binned in the second half at Longden Place.
Both sides had enjoyed comfortable victories en route to the final, Kazakhstan overcoming Thailand 69-21 and Chinese Taipei 29-0 to top Group A in the week-long tournament, while Sri Lanka topped Group B by beating China 26-10 and Malaysia 77-3.
The other Group A match saw Chinese Taipei score five tries in beating Thailand 27-10 to take their place in the Plate final against China, the Group B runners up following a nine-try 56-6 defeat of Malaysia.
China took the honours with a 28-22 victory, although it took another inspirational performance from captain and Player of the Tournament Zhang Zhi Qiang to lead them to victory over a spirited Chinese Taipei outfit in an entertaining match.
Thailand meanwhile ended the tournament on a high with a convincing 44-7 defeat of Malaysia in the Bowl final and Iran won the Shield competition, the second tier which was played on a round robin basis.
The two other teams in the Shield competition were South India and Pakistan, with Iran running out 32-3 winners over Pakistan before beating South India 39-7. The latter had beaten Pakistan 19-0 earlier in the week.
- Monday 1 September 2014 - South America
Colombia start with big win in South America
- Monday 1 September 2014 - Junior World Rugby Trophy
Namibia qualify for Junior World Trophy 2015
- Monday 1 September 2014 - Olympics
Rio 2016 calls for Rugby volunteers
- Monday 1 September 2014 - RWC 2015
Too Big To Miss
- Friday 29 August 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Ensuring an Impact Beyond WRWC 2014
- 02 September - Ollie Phillips sailing
- 01 September - Robins Tchale-Watchou profile
- 31 August - Rugby World Cup Trophy Tour - South Africa
- 30 August - Gilbert's new ball for Rugby World Cup 2015
- 29 August - CEO Brett Gosper on the name change from 'IRB' to 'World Rugby'
- 29 August - Feature on Argentina's Manuel Montero
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 25 August - Bhubesi Pride takes rugby to children across Africa
- 25 August - Argentina legend Hugo Porta on his career
- 24 August - (FUN) England's Women talk about what makes them tick