Kazakhstan scored three tries to beat host nation Sri Lanka 24-17 in the final of the Rugby Asiad in Colombo on Saturday – only a week after their female counterparts had been crowned Asian champions.
Denis Cherkashin scored two of Kazakhstan’s tries as they denied the enthusiastic home crowd the victory they craved, despite having flanker Mikhail Solovyer sin-binned in the second half at Longden Place.
Both sides had enjoyed comfortable victories en route to the final, Kazakhstan overcoming Thailand 69-21 and Chinese Taipei 29-0 to top Group A in the week-long tournament, while Sri Lanka topped Group B by beating China 26-10 and Malaysia 77-3.
The other Group A match saw Chinese Taipei score five tries in beating Thailand 27-10 to take their place in the Plate final against China, the Group B runners up following a nine-try 56-6 defeat of Malaysia.
China took the honours with a 28-22 victory, although it took another inspirational performance from captain and Player of the Tournament Zhang Zhi Qiang to lead them to victory over a spirited Chinese Taipei outfit in an entertaining match.
Thailand meanwhile ended the tournament on a high with a convincing 44-7 defeat of Malaysia in the Bowl final and Iran won the Shield competition, the second tier which was played on a round robin basis.
The two other teams in the Shield competition were South India and Pakistan, with Iran running out 32-3 winners over Pakistan before beating South India 39-7. The latter had beaten Pakistan 19-0 earlier in the week.
- Friday 7 March 2014 - World Rankings
Fourth at stake when RWC 2015 rivals meet
- Friday 7 March 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
World Cup success the dream for Agricole
- Friday 7 March 2014 - Olympics
Rugby Sevens primed for ODESUR Games in Chile
- Friday 7 March 2014 - RWC 2015
England and Wales set for RWC 2015 rehearsal
- Friday 7 March 2014 - HSBC Sevens World Series
"Probably the most important year for Sevens"
- 08 March - Sandrine Agricole on France women's Six Nations campaign
- 7 March - England v Wales: Rugby World Cup memories and dreams
- 07 March - Andy Robinson looks ahead to the penultimate round of the Six Nations
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 03 March - Alain Rolland looks back over his distinguished refereeing career