Ghana ran out 17-7 winners over Burkina Faso on the final day of the pool stages to top Pool B and set up a CAR (Confederation of African Rugby) Development Trophy final against defending champions Niger in Lomé, Togo, on Saturday.
They had opened their campaign with a convincing 44-0 defeat of Togo II - who had stepped following Chad's late withdrawal - and then drew 5-5 with Nigeria, so knew victory over Burkina Faso was a necessity if they were to reach the final.
Niger, who beat Burkina Faso in last year's final, finished top of Pool A with an identical record to Ghana, having beaten Benin 10-3, drawn 11-11 with Mali and then edged hosts Togo 6-3 in the pool decider on Wednesday.
The other matches on the final day will see Togo face Burkina Faso in the third place play-off, Nigeria meet Mali with fifth spot at stake and Togo II tackle Benin with both sides seeking a first victory.
"This tournament is a crucial part of African rugby’s development," said IRB Regional Development Manager for Africa, Jean-Luc Barthes.
"Through more regular competition, these countries are growing their rugby effectively and can one day hope to challenge the likes of Kenya, Uganda and Madagascar in the next tier of competition in Africa."
Togo 6-5 Mali
Niger 10-3 Benin
Niger 11-11 Mali
Togo 6-5 Benin
Niger 6-3 Togo
Mali 11-0 Benin
Burkina Faso 17-7 Nigeria
Ghana 44-0 Togo II
Burkina Faso 43-0 Togo II
Ghana 5-5 Nigeria
Burkina Faso 7-17 Ghana
Togo II 0-43 Nigeria
- Monday 20 October 2014 - RWC 2015
All Blacks improve rankings score
- Monday 20 October 2014 - Press Releases
Olympic Sevens panel announced for #IRBConfEx
- Monday 20 October 2014 - Americas
Jaguars sign off in style at ARC
- Saturday 18 October 2014 - RWC 2015
Los Teros begin countdown to Cardiff
- Friday 17 October 2014 - RWC 2015
Try Outs touch down in Leeds
- 20 October - Australia player Emilee Cherry looks ahead to the start of the Women's Sevens Series
- 18 October - Cameron Clark on playing for Australia sevens
- 17 October - Sweden's Jennifer Sundqvist on 30 years of Women's rugby in the country
- 17 October - Gold Coast Sevens review
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 15 October - Martin Johnson's 'Tackle These'
- 14 October - Martin Johnson and Chris Robshaw on leadership
- 13 October - Uruguay's reaction to securing a place in Rugby World Cup Pool A
- 13 October - Russia's reaction to missing out on Rugby World Cup 2015
- 13 October - Head of Rugby World Cup, Alan Gilpin on Uruguay qualifying for England 2015