Ghana ran out 17-7 winners over Burkina Faso on the final day of the pool stages to top Pool B and set up a CAR (Confederation of African Rugby) Development Trophy final against defending champions Niger in Lomé, Togo, on Saturday.
They had opened their campaign with a convincing 44-0 defeat of Togo II - who had stepped following Chad's late withdrawal - and then drew 5-5 with Nigeria, so knew victory over Burkina Faso was a necessity if they were to reach the final.
Niger, who beat Burkina Faso in last year's final, finished top of Pool A with an identical record to Ghana, having beaten Benin 10-3, drawn 11-11 with Mali and then edged hosts Togo 6-3 in the pool decider on Wednesday.
The other matches on the final day will see Togo face Burkina Faso in the third place play-off, Nigeria meet Mali with fifth spot at stake and Togo II tackle Benin with both sides seeking a first victory.
"This tournament is a crucial part of African rugby’s development," said IRB Regional Development Manager for Africa, Jean-Luc Barthes.
"Through more regular competition, these countries are growing their rugby effectively and can one day hope to challenge the likes of Kenya, Uganda and Madagascar in the next tier of competition in Africa."
Togo 6-5 Mali
Niger 10-3 Benin
Niger 11-11 Mali
Togo 6-5 Benin
Niger 6-3 Togo
Mali 11-0 Benin
Burkina Faso 17-7 Nigeria
Ghana 44-0 Togo II
Burkina Faso 43-0 Togo II
Ghana 5-5 Nigeria
Burkina Faso 7-17 Ghana
Togo II 0-43 Nigeria
- Tuesday 22 July 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Superbru onboard for #WRWC2014
- Tuesday 22 July 2014 - RWC 2015
RWC Gold: When Stirling cashed in
- Monday 21 July 2014 - Commonwealth Games
Rugby Sevens at the Commonwealth Games
- Monday 21 July 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Sevens stars put Wallaroos on the attack
- Saturday 19 July 2014 - HSBC Sevens World Series
USA Sevens get their man Friday
- 21 July - In-depth look at rugby in Russia
- 20 July - New Zealand's John Afoa looks back on his career
- 19 July - Sean Fitzpatrick Tackle These
- 18 July - Australia's women look ahead to the Rugby World Cup
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 16 July - Shane Williams on life in Japan
- 15 July - South Africa women's preparation for the World Cup
- 14 July - Humphrey Kayange takes on 'Tackle These'
- 12 July - Kenya coach Jerome Paarwater on improving the side
- 11 July - Rugby World Cup Trophy Tour and Namibia's qualification