Fiji recorded their first win in this year’s Oceania Under 19 Championship by defeating defending champions Tonga 9-8 in Apia, Samoa.
In a see-saw contest in front of 300 spectators at Apia Park, two first-half penalty goals by Noa Nakaitaci gave Fiji the edge over Tonga, whose three points came courtesy of a Patrick Makaafi drop goal.
Five minutes after the break, Tonga’s Amanaki Mafi claimed the game’s only try to edge his side into an 8-6 lead.
Tonga would hold on to that advantage until the 61st minute, when Nacataki kicked his third penalty to put Fiji one point ahead. And that was t be the final score in the match.
The results leaves Fiji second in the standings behind Samoa, who defeated them in the opening match of the tournament.
Fiji play Vanuatu next, whilst Tonga will look to bounce back against Samoa. Both matches take place on 31 August.
Full match schedule
24 Aug 2009
3:00pm - Fiji 22-34 Samoa
28 Aug 2009
4:00pm - Tonga 8-9 Fiji
31 Aug 2009
2:00pm - Fiji v Vanuatu
4:00pm - Tonga v Samoa
4 Sep 2009
2:00pm - Papua New Guinea v Vanuatu
4:00pm - Cup Final
* All matches to be played at Apia Park, Samoa
** All match times Samoa local time (BST -12 hrs)
For more details go to Oceaniarugby.com
- Monday 1 September 2014 - South America
Colombia start with big win in South America
- Monday 1 September 2014 - Junior World Rugby Trophy
Namibia qualify for Junior World Trophy 2015
- Monday 1 September 2014 - Olympics
Rio 2016 calls for Rugby volunteers
- Friday 29 August 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Ensuring an Impact Beyond WRWC 2014
- Friday 29 August 2014 - South America
Super Week lives up to name in Buenos Aires
- 02 September - Ollie Phillips sailing
- 01 September - Robins Tchale-Watchou profile
- 31 August - Rugby World Cup Trophy Tour - South Africa
- 30 August - Gilbert's new ball for Rugby World Cup 2015
- 29 August - CEO Brett Gosper on the name change from 'IRB' to 'World Rugby'
- 29 August - Feature on Argentina's Manuel Montero
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 25 August - Bhubesi Pride takes rugby to children across Africa
- 25 August - Argentina legend Hugo Porta on his career
- 24 August - (FUN) England's Women talk about what makes them tick