Samoa and Fiji both enjoyed victories against Tonga and Vanuatu on the third day of the Oceania Under 19 Championship.
The Samoans have now beaten both Fiji and Tonga, while the Fijians earlier edged the Tongans 9-8, meaning that Samoa will play against Fiji in the grand final this weekend.
Samoa 13-11 Tonga
Samoa were made to work hard for their second home victory in an attritional game against the powerful Tongans.
Captain and prop Viliamu Afatia scored to put them 5-0 ahead on 26 minutes, but Patrick Makaafi struck with a well taken penalty goal four minutes later for Tonga to narrow the lead to just two points, which is how things stayed until half time.
Shortly after the break, home fly half Karl Malielegaoi kicked a penalty and on 23 minutes Sani Niue's try appeared to put the tight match beyond the Tongans at 13-3.
However, on 70 minutes Makaafi cut the deficit to seven points and, with just four minutes to play, Tonga captain Seilame Tukuafu scored a try. The tough conversion was missed, leaving Samoa with a final frantic few minutes to hold on to their two-point lead, which they duly managed.
Fiji 89-3 Vanuatu
In the day's other match Fiji ran out convincing winners against Vanuatu, 89-3, with eleven different players contributing tries.
Centre Virimi Vakatawa inspired them to a 44-0 half time lead with three inside the first 40 minutes, and they kept up the good work after the break.
Full back Iliesa Ratuva and flank forward Penaia Nawelulu each scored a brace as the IRB Junior World Championship-bound side hammered home its authority.
Vanuatu's three points came from a penalty goal scored in the 75th minute by fly half Lawrenzo Kunro Kalo.
While Samoa take on Fiji for the regional champions title, PNG will play Vanuatu for Oceania's sole berth at next year's IRB Junior World Rugby Trophy.
Full match schedule
24 Aug 2009
3:00pm - Fiji 22-34 Samoa
28 Aug 2009
4:00pm - Tonga 8-9 Fiji
31 Aug 2009
2:00pm - Fiji 89-3 Vanuatu
4:00pm - Tonga 11-13 Samoa
4 Sep 2009
2:00pm - Papua New Guinea v Vanuatu
4:00pm - Samoa v Fiji
* All matches to be played at Apia Park, Samoa
** All match times Samoa local time (BST -12 hrs)
For more details go to Oceaniarugby.com
- Wednesday 22 October 2014 - RWC 2015
RWC 2015: Pool A profile
- Tuesday 21 October 2014 - Europe
The power of rugby to break down borders
- Monday 20 October 2014 - RWC 2015
All Blacks improve rankings total
- Monday 20 October 2014 - Press Releases
Olympic Sevens panel announced for #IRBConfEx
- Monday 20 October 2014 - Americas
Jaguars sign off in style at ARC
- 21 October - Jonny Wilkinson on life after rugby
- 20 October - Australia player Emilee Cherry looks ahead to the start of the Women's Sevens World Series
- 18 October - Cameron Clark on playing for Australia sevens
- 17 October - Sweden's Jennifer Sundqvist on 30 years of Women's rugby in the country
- 17 October - Gold Coast Sevens review
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 15 October - Martin Johnson's 'Tackle These'
- 14 October - Martin Johnson and Chris Robshaw on leadership
- 13 October - Uruguay's reaction to securing a place in Rugby World Cup Pool A
- 13 October - Russia's reaction to missing out on Rugby World Cup 2015