Italy beat Georgia 16-3 to win the European Under 19 Championship in Coimbra, Portugal and qualify as the region's representative for the IRB Junior World Rugby Trophy 2010.
The top-seeded Italians were the pre-tournament favourites, having been relegated from the IRB TOSHIBA Junior World Championship in Japan earlier this year, and reached the decisive match with a second convincing 40-10 win against Spain.
The final against Georgia was a far closer affair, pitting the Italians against the only other side in the eight-team field to have played at IRB age grade level in recent years.
The Georgians finished third in the inaugural IRB Junior World Rugby Trophy in Santiago, Chile in 2008, and were a close match for the Azzuri.
Wing Giovanbattista Venditti's try gave the Italians an early lead but after Tommaso Ioannone had converted to make the score 7-0, Ushangi Mchedlishvili slotted a penalty to reduce the lead to just four points at the break.
The second half was all Italy, however, the number one seeds coping better with the raft of substitutions made by both coaches and controlling territory cleverly to allow Ioannone to score three penalty goals and cement the win, 16-3.
In the ranking finals, Spain beat Russia 27-24 to finish third, hosts Portugal beat Poland 22-10 to finish fifth and Belgium edged Germany 10-5 for seventh place.
IRB Junior World Rugby Trophy 2010
Italy's qualification swells the field of teams confirmed for the 2010 IRB Junior World Rugby Trophy to six, joining defending champions Romania and other regional qualifiers Zimbabwe (Africa), Papua New Guinea (Oceania), 2008 winners Uruguay (South America) and Japan (Asia).
The remaining places will be filled by the Host Union and the North American qualifier, be that Canada - another side relegated from the IRB TOSHIBA Junior World Championship - or USA, the side beaten by Romania in the Trophy final in Kenya back in April.
- Tuesday 30 September 2014 - Asia
Japan and HK lead the way at Asian Games
- Tuesday 30 September 2014 - RWC 2015
RWC 2015: General ticket sales update
- Tuesday 30 September 2014 - HSBC Sevens World Series - Australia
GC7s squads: Pool C (FIJ, AUS, SCO, POR)
- Monday 29 September 2014 - RWC 2015
Russia must improve in key areas - Artemyev
- Monday 29 September 2014 - Press Releases
Concussion panel announced for #IRBConfEx
- 30 September - Richard Hill on the 2003 Rugby World Cup Final
- 29 September - Russia's Vasily Artemyev on the first leg of their RWC qualifier against Uruguay
- 29 September - Conrad Smith on his career
- 28 September - Jean de Villiers 'Tackle These'
- 27 September - Sam Warburton 'Tackle These'
- 26 September - Uruguay captain Nicholas Klappenbach
- 26 September - (RWC Memory) Jonny Wilkinson 2003 drop-goal
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 24 September - Jean de Villiers on life on and off the pitch
- 24 September - Matthew Rees on battling cancer