Peru are set to shoot up the IRB World Rankings after following up their win over Venezuela by beating hosts Colombia 21-7 on day two of the South American B Championship in Medellín on Wednesday.
Twenty-five places separated Peru from their hosts in the rankings, but a first victory over Colombia for three years will change that statistic with the Peruvians needing only to beat Costa Rica on Saturday to confirm themselves as champions.
Venezuela, meanwhile, bounced back from a surprise 13-3 loss to Peru on Monday with a 29-6 defeat of Costa Rica, the only side in the four team tournament that are not a Full Member Union of the International Rugby Board and therefore not ranked.
Wing Thomas Aponte gave Venezuela the perfect start with two tries in the opening 10 minutes before completing his hat-trick just before the final whistle. Centre Wilmer Marin scored the game's other try.
Venezuela now meet tournament hosts Colombia on Saturday with both sides keen to lessen any slide down the rankings by finishing on a high with a second victory of the tournament, both having overcome the challenge of Costa Rica so far.
For more information visit www.consur.org (Espanol)
- Wednesday 30 July 2014 - RWC 2015
Krasnoyarsk, the heartbeat of Russian rugby
- Wednesday 30 July 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Captains' excitement as WRWC2014 gets closer
- Wednesday 30 July 2014 - HSBC Sevens
Golden Blitzboks turn attention to Series
- Tuesday 29 July 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Women's Rugby World Cup launched in Paris
- Monday 28 July 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Sevens stars touch down for Women's World Cup
- 30 July - South Africa's Warren Whiteley on winning Gold in Glasgow
- 30 July - Sean Fitzpatrick on the extraordinary 1995 World Cup
- 29 July - Sean Fitzpatrick on his early obsession with rugby
- 28 July - Hong Kong's Dai Rees and first, Zimbabwe's Liam Middleton on the repechage
- 28 July - Pablo Lemoine on future of rugby in Uruguay
- 25 July - Barbados prepare for Commonwealth Games in Sutton Coldfield
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 23 July - Development of rugby in Colombia
- 22 July - The Netherlands team profile
- 21 July - In-depth look at rugby in Russia