Sergio de la Fuente, Pablo Huete and Francisco Cruz all scored two tries to help Chile run out 71-3 winners over Paraguay on the second day of the South American Championship at Cataratas Rugby Club in Iguazu, Argentina, on Tuesday.
Chile, who beat Brazil 25-6 over the weekend, never looked back after Germán Herrera scored the opening try in the seventh minute, with Rodrigo Tobar and a Huete brace ensuring their side went in with a 26-3 lead at half time, Marcelo Renna’s penalty the only reply from Paraguay.
Tries from Cruz, Felipe Brangier, De la Fuente, Sebastian del Solar and Alejandro Rios saw Chile to a comfortable victory and the perfect warm up for their meeting with Uruguay on Friday to determine the winners of the first phase of this annual competition.
Chile and Uruguay, regardless of who wins on Friday, will enter the second phase where they will each play defending champions Argentina, but the chance to put one over their traditional rivals will see both sides lift their games.
Uruguay, the 102-6 conquerors of Paraguay on day one, are also unbeaten after defeating Brazil 39-15, although they did have to come from behind after Julian Menutti’s penalty and Daniel Gregg’s try gave the Brazilians an 8-3 lead after half an hour.
Three Matias Arocena penalties and Manuel Gaminara’s try enabled Uruguay to go in with a 17-8 lead at half time, but once more Brazil fought back to trail by only two points with Joao Luis da Rosa’s try after 51 minutes.
Uruguay, though, weren’t to be denied with tries from Leandro Leivas, Pablo Bueno and a penalty try securing the victory that leaves Brazil needing to beat Paraguay on Friday to avoid a play-off with the B Championship winner to determine who plays in the top tier next year.
Fixtures and Results
14 May 2011 @ Cataratas Rugby Club in Iguazu
Uruguay 102-6 Paraguay
Chile 25-6 Brazil
17 May @ Cataratas Rugby Club in Iguazu
14:00 Chile 71-3 Paraguay
16:10 Uruguay 39-15 Brazil
20 May @ Cataratas Rugby Club in Iguazu
14:00 Uruguay v Chile
16:10 Brazil v Paraguay
22 May @ Cataratas Rugby Club in Iguazu
16:00 Argentina v Chile
25 May @ Capri, Posadas
16:00 Argentina v Uruguay
- Wednesday 1 October 2014 - HSBC Sevens World Series - Australia
GC7s squads: Pool B (RSA, KEN, WAL, ASA)
- Wednesday 1 October 2014 - Asia
Asian Games set for gold medal rematch?
- Wednesday 1 October 2014 - South America
Rugby aims to reach new heights in Bolivia
- Wednesday 1 October 2014 - Press Releases
IRB announces record investment programme
- Tuesday 30 September 2014 - RWC 2015
RWC 2015: General ticket sales update
- 01 October - Avan Lee, IRB General Manager for sevens on the upcoming Sevens World Series
- 01 October - Andrea Masi profile
- 30 September - Richard Hill on the 2003 Rugby World Cup Final
- 29 September - Russia's Vasily Artemyev on the first leg of their RWC qualifier against Uruguay
- 29 September - Conrad Smith on his career
- 28 September - Jean de Villiers 'Tackle These'
- 27 September - Sam Warburton 'Tackle These'
- 26 September - Uruguay captain Nicholas Klappenbach
- 26 September - (RWC Memory) Jonny Wilkinson 2003 drop-goal
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show