Sergio de la Fuente, Pablo Huete and Francisco Cruz all scored two tries to help Chile run out 71-3 winners over Paraguay on the second day of the South American Championship at Cataratas Rugby Club in Iguazu, Argentina, on Tuesday.
Chile, who beat Brazil 25-6 over the weekend, never looked back after Germán Herrera scored the opening try in the seventh minute, with Rodrigo Tobar and a Huete brace ensuring their side went in with a 26-3 lead at half time, Marcelo Renna’s penalty the only reply from Paraguay.
Tries from Cruz, Felipe Brangier, De la Fuente, Sebastian del Solar and Alejandro Rios saw Chile to a comfortable victory and the perfect warm up for their meeting with Uruguay on Friday to determine the winners of the first phase of this annual competition.
Chile and Uruguay, regardless of who wins on Friday, will enter the second phase where they will each play defending champions Argentina, but the chance to put one over their traditional rivals will see both sides lift their games.
Uruguay, the 102-6 conquerors of Paraguay on day one, are also unbeaten after defeating Brazil 39-15, although they did have to come from behind after Julian Menutti’s penalty and Daniel Gregg’s try gave the Brazilians an 8-3 lead after half an hour.
Three Matias Arocena penalties and Manuel Gaminara’s try enabled Uruguay to go in with a 17-8 lead at half time, but once more Brazil fought back to trail by only two points with Joao Luis da Rosa’s try after 51 minutes.
Uruguay, though, weren’t to be denied with tries from Leandro Leivas, Pablo Bueno and a penalty try securing the victory that leaves Brazil needing to beat Paraguay on Friday to avoid a play-off with the B Championship winner to determine who plays in the top tier next year.
Fixtures and Results
14 May 2011 @ Cataratas Rugby Club in Iguazu
Uruguay 102-6 Paraguay
Chile 25-6 Brazil
17 May @ Cataratas Rugby Club in Iguazu
14:00 Chile 71-3 Paraguay
16:10 Uruguay 39-15 Brazil
20 May @ Cataratas Rugby Club in Iguazu
14:00 Uruguay v Chile
16:10 Brazil v Paraguay
22 May @ Cataratas Rugby Club in Iguazu
16:00 Argentina v Chile
25 May @ Capri, Posadas
16:00 Argentina v Uruguay
- Monday 1 September 2014 - South America
Colombia start with big win in South America
- Monday 1 September 2014 - Junior World Rugby Trophy
Namibia qualify for Junior World Trophy 2015
- Monday 1 September 2014 - Olympics
Rio 2016 calls for Rugby volunteers
- Friday 29 August 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Ensuring an Impact Beyond WRWC 2014
- Friday 29 August 2014 - South America
Super Week lives up to name in Buenos Aires
- 02 September - Ollie Phillips sailing
- 01 September - Robins Tchale-Watchou profile
- 31 August - Rugby World Cup Trophy Tour - South Africa
- 30 August - Gilbert's new ball for Rugby World Cup 2015
- 29 August - CEO Brett Gosper on the name change from 'IRB' to 'World Rugby'
- 29 August - Feature on Argentina's Manuel Montero
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 25 August - Bhubesi Pride takes rugby to children across Africa
- 25 August - Argentina legend Hugo Porta on his career
- 24 August - (FUN) England's Women talk about what makes them tick