Hong Kong, Brazil, Kenya and the United Arab Emirates will take part in a new global rugby initiative, the Emirates Airlines Cup of Nations, in Dubai from 10-16 December.
The tournament, a joint initiative of the Hong Kong Rugby Football Union and the UAE Rugby Association, is the first tournament of its kind involving teams from three continents and fulfils the need for all four nations to play more Test matches.
“We are delighted to be participating in the inaugural Emirates Airlines Cup of Nations in Dubai. The competition against Kenya, Brazil and the UAE will further improve our preparations for the HSBC Asian 5 Nations and the upcoming qualification process for Rugby World Cup 2015,” said Trevor Gregory, HKRFU Chairman.
“It is increasingly vital that teams get as much exposure to high-level Test rugby as possible and the intensity of the competition, which will see each team play three matches within a week, will prove important in competitions later on in the year.”
Mark Egan, the IRB Head of Development and Performance, added: “The IRB is happy to support this excellent initiative by the UAERA and HKRFU. Cross Regional competition between nations of a similar IRB ranking will allow us to benchmark these Unions against each other and see how they are progressing.
“We are particularly excited to see Brazil participating as this is a targeted Union within the IRB Strategic Investment Programme and we are already beginning to see improved international performances from both their Sevens and fifteens programmes.”
Emirates Airlines Cup of Nations schedule
13:00 – Brazil v Kenya
15:00 – Hong Kong v UAE
18:00 – Hong Kong v Kenya
20:00 – UAE v Brazil
15:00 – UAE v Kenya
17:00 – Hong Kong v Brazil
Kick-offs local time
- Friday 24 October 2014 - RWC 2015
Leeds set for clash of continents
- Friday 24 October 2014 -
Australia Sevens stars land top awards
- Thursday 23 October 2014 - Junior World Rugby Trophy
Euro hosts Portugal prepare for JWRT 2015
- Thursday 23 October 2014 - Awards
Ray Williams wins prestigious IRB Award
- Thursday 23 October 2014 - RWC 2015
Record demand for RWC 2015 tickets
- 25 October - Brazil Sevens in South Africa
- 24 October - England's oldest schools match
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 21 October - Jonny Wilkinson on life after rugby
- 20 October - Australia player Emilee Cherry looks ahead to the start of the Women's Sevens World Series
- 18 October - Cameron Clark on playing for Australia sevens
- 17 October - Sweden's Jennifer Sundqvist on 30 years of Women's rugby in the country
- 17 October - Gold Coast Sevens review
- 15 October - Martin Johnson's 'Tackle These'
- 14 October - Martin Johnson and Chris Robshaw on leadership