The ACT XV and Reds College XV made impressive starts to the Australian series of the IRB Pacific Rugby Cup 2013 with victories over Samoa A and Tonga A respectively.
The ACT XV scored six tries in the second half to record a comfortable 58-19 win on Friday, while the Reds College XV beat their Tongan opponents 24-3 at Ballymore on Saturday.
The other round one encounter between the HSBC Waratah A team and defending champions Fiji Warriors, which was due to be the curtain raiser to the Waratahs’ Super Rugby match with the Melbourne Rebels, was postponed due to inclement weather in Sydney.
The ACT XV squad featured 16 players contracted to the Brumbies Super Rugby side and they recovered from conceding an early try to tighthead prop Jake Grey to lead 22-14 at half time with Coleman touching down twice after scrum half Ian Prior’s opening try for the hosts.
Tries from centre Jordan Rapana, wing Tom Cox, second row Etienne Oosthuizen, captain and number 8 Fotu Auelua, prop Scott Sio and centre Tevita Kuridrani completed the win, with Grey the only point scorer for Samoa A in the second half.
Fly half Jono Lance was the standout performer for the Reds College XV, managing the match strong and contributing nine points to the cause by converting all three tries and after an earlier penalty.
In wet and windy conditions in Brisbane, Wallaby wing Rod Davies, prop Sam Denny and centre Rex Tapuai crossed for the Reds College XV’s tries in the opening round of this key IRB development tournament.
The IRB Pacific Rugby Cup continues on Thursday when Samoa A face the Sydney Academy, Tonga A travel to Viking Park to face the ACT XV and the Fiji Warriors tackle Brisbane Academy at Ballymore.
- Friday 31 October 2014 - World Rankings
Moody: NZ never know when they're beaten
- Friday 31 October 2014 - Europe
Netherlands - Belgium in Women's Trophy Final
- Thursday 30 October 2014 - Junior World Rugby Trophy
Portugal - Georgia in Euro Under 19 final
- Wednesday 29 October 2014 - RWC 2015
RWC 2015: Pool B profile
- Tuesday 28 October 2014 - Press Releases
Land Rover named as partner for ConfEx 2014
- 01 November - Welsh boys at Racing Metro
- 31 October - Lewis Moody looks ahead to the November internationals
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 28 October - Rugby in Hawaii
- 27 October - Rugby World Cup Memory - France v New Zealand 1999 semi-final
- 26 October - Parisian Rugby
- 25 October - Brazil Sevens in South Africa
- 24 October - England's oldest schools match
- 21 October - Jonny Wilkinson on life after rugby
- 20 October - Australia player Emilee Cherry looks ahead to the start of the Women's Sevens World Series