Junior Japan are still seeking their first IRB Pacific Rugby Cup victory after going down 63-10 to the Highlanders Development team in the penultimate match of the New Zealand series at the Forsyth Barr Stadium in Dunedin on Tuesday.
The Japanese side, featuring mainly high school and university students, did open the scoring with fly half Takuya Yamasawa’s early penalty, but tries from Trent Renata, Tom Franklin and Jayden Spencer gave the Highlanders Development team a 21-3 lead at the break.
Barely a minute into the second half and the Highlanders Development team were back on the scoreboard again with Jayden Spence’s try and the score had reached 49-3 by the hour mark after further tries for Tony Ensor, Renata and Michael Collins.
Junior Japan replacement Issei Shige did stop the scoring run at 49 points by crossing for a try, but Ensor and Peter Breen took the Highlanders Development team’s try count to nine with fly half Haden Parker converting all of them for an 18-point haul in the win.
Junior Japan will wrap up the New Zealand series of the 2013 competition when they face the Hurricanes Development team at the Community Trust Domain on Saturday.
The Pacific Rugby Cup will then conclude just before the November tours with the core teams facing each other to determine the 2013 champions. Fiji Warriors currently head the standings with 14 points with Samoa A (10) the only team with a realistic chance of denying them a fifth straight title.
- Clean sweep for New Zealand sides in PRC »
- Blues end Fiji Warriors unbeaten PRC run »
- Mixed results as PRC moves to New Zealand »
- Fiji Warriors win again in round three of PRC »
- Samoa A and Fiji Warriors record PRC wins »
- Wins for Australian teams in PRC first round »
- PRC 2012 in review: Fourth title for Warriors »
- Junior Japan join expanded PRC in 2013 »
- Tuesday 21 October 2014 - Europe
The power of rugby to break down borders
- Monday 20 October 2014 - RWC 2015
All Blacks improve rankings total
- Monday 20 October 2014 - Press Releases
Olympic Sevens panel announced for #IRBConfEx
- Monday 20 October 2014 - Americas
Jaguars sign off in style at ARC
- Saturday 18 October 2014 - RWC 2015
Los Teros begin countdown to Cardiff
- 21 October - Jonny Wilkinson on life after rugby
- 20 October - Australia player Emilee Cherry looks ahead to the start of the Women's Sevens World Series
- 18 October - Cameron Clark on playing for Australia sevens
- 17 October - Sweden's Jennifer Sundqvist on 30 years of Women's rugby in the country
- 17 October - Gold Coast Sevens review
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 15 October - Martin Johnson's 'Tackle These'
- 14 October - Martin Johnson and Chris Robshaw on leadership
- 13 October - Uruguay's reaction to securing a place in Rugby World Cup Pool A
- 13 October - Russia's reaction to missing out on Rugby World Cup 2015