Representatives from Georgia, Uruguay and the South Africa President’s XV visited the Avchala Juvenile Penitentiary on Thursday to meet and interact with inmates as part of a re-socialisation programme organised by the Georgian Ministry of Sport.
Players took part in a game of touch rugby with the inmates and answered questions about what life is like as a professional rugby player. The inmates showed off their arts and craft projects and gave the players a tour of the facility.
The re-socialisation programme was implemented at the start of 2013, as a means of reintegrating youngsters who have turned to a life of crime back into mainstream society through the use of sport and non formal education. These activities include rugby, football, wood carving, computer science and music. The project will run throughout this year.
Many of the juveniles are regular rugby players and compete against Georgian club age grade teams on a monthly basis. Giorgi Kacharava, a Georgian A international, is their lead coach and he is often assisted by his younger brother – the Georgian international David Kacharava.
The event was a huge highlight for the incarcerated youngsters who relished the chance to host professional sportsmen.
Eddie Myners, a coach for the South Africa President’s XV side, works in a similar facility back in South Africa. He said: “You cannot underestimate how much of a powerful tool sport is, especially rugby. It gives these young individuals a focus for their attention and days like today are massive in keeping the players engaged in rugby."
- Monday 1 September 2014 - South America
Colombia start with big win in South America
- Monday 1 September 2014 - Junior World Rugby Trophy
Namibia qualify for Junior World Trophy 2015
- Monday 1 September 2014 - Olympics
Rio 2016 calls for Rugby volunteers
- Friday 29 August 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Ensuring an Impact Beyond WRWC 2014
- Friday 29 August 2014 - South America
Super Week lives up to name in Buenos Aires
- 02 September - Ollie Phillips sailing
- 01 September - Robins Tchale-Watchou profile
- 31 August - Rugby World Cup Trophy Tour - South Africa
- 30 August - Gilbert's new ball for Rugby World Cup 2015
- 29 August - CEO Brett Gosper on the name change from 'IRB' to 'World Rugby'
- 29 August - Feature on Argentina's Manuel Montero
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 25 August - Bhubesi Pride takes rugby to children across Africa
- 25 August - Argentina legend Hugo Porta on his career
- 24 August - (FUN) England's Women talk about what makes them tick