With much of Europe currently enjoying high temperatures, it seems fitting that attention turns to Beach Rugby this weekend on Italy’s Adriatic coast with the Lignano International Cup taking place on Saturday and Sunday.
The 13th edition of the renowned Beach Fives tournament is expected to see some 10,000 fans in attendance in the arena over the two days with a similar figure predicted to watch the live stream broadcast of the event.
Twelve teams representing Belgium, England, Italy, Austria, France, USA, the Netherlands and the Pacific Islands will all be in action on Saturday, showcasing a sport which continues to grow in popularity.
“Since the IRB officially recognised the Beach Fives format in 2010, interest in the sport has simply exploded,” admitted Tournament Director Cesare Zambelli.
“The popularity of Beach Rugby is a phenomenon. It’s played in many different formats including Touch and Tag. But where Beach Fives is different is that it’s full contact. It is great fun for the players but you couldn’t really call it ‘leisure’.
“Each match is an intense and highly competitive 10 minutes of play. The speed of the game and the simplicity of the rules make it instantly understandable for a newcomer, while the competitive ‘contact’ element has a captivating force bringing both player and fans interests together.”
The IRB recognises the three variations of Beach Rugby and supports each of them.
- Thursday 23 October 2014 - Awards
Ray Williams wins prestigious IRB Award
- Thursday 23 October 2014 - RWC 2015
Record demand for RWC 2015 tickets
- Wednesday 22 October 2014 - RWC 2015
RWC 2015: Pool A profile
- Tuesday 21 October 2014 - Europe
The power of rugby to break down borders
- Monday 20 October 2014 - RWC 2015
All Blacks improve rankings total
- 21 October - Jonny Wilkinson on life after rugby
- 20 October - Australia player Emilee Cherry looks ahead to the start of the Women's Sevens World Series
- 18 October - Cameron Clark on playing for Australia sevens
- 17 October - Sweden's Jennifer Sundqvist on 30 years of Women's rugby in the country
- 17 October - Gold Coast Sevens review
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 15 October - Martin Johnson's 'Tackle These'
- 14 October - Martin Johnson and Chris Robshaw on leadership
- 13 October - Uruguay's reaction to securing a place in Rugby World Cup Pool A
- 13 October - Russia's reaction to missing out on Rugby World Cup 2015