With much of Europe currently enjoying high temperatures, it seems fitting that attention turns to Beach Rugby this weekend on Italy’s Adriatic coast with the Lignano International Cup taking place on Saturday and Sunday.
The 13th edition of the renowned Beach Fives tournament is expected to see some 10,000 fans in attendance in the arena over the two days with a similar figure predicted to watch the live stream broadcast of the event.
Twelve teams representing Belgium, England, Italy, Austria, France, USA, the Netherlands and the Pacific Islands will all be in action on Saturday, showcasing a sport which continues to grow in popularity.
“Since the IRB officially recognised the Beach Fives format in 2010, interest in the sport has simply exploded,” admitted Tournament Director Cesare Zambelli.
“The popularity of Beach Rugby is a phenomenon. It’s played in many different formats including Touch and Tag. But where Beach Fives is different is that it’s full contact. It is great fun for the players but you couldn’t really call it ‘leisure’.
“Each match is an intense and highly competitive 10 minutes of play. The speed of the game and the simplicity of the rules make it instantly understandable for a newcomer, while the competitive ‘contact’ element has a captivating force bringing both player and fans interests together.”
The IRB recognises the three variations of Beach Rugby and supports each of them.
- Monday 1 September 2014 - South America
Colombia start with big win in South America
- Monday 1 September 2014 - Junior World Rugby Trophy
Namibia qualify for Junior World Trophy 2015
- Monday 1 September 2014 - Olympics
Rio 2016 calls for Rugby volunteers
- Friday 29 August 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Ensuring an Impact Beyond WRWC 2014
- Friday 29 August 2014 - South America
Super Week lives up to name in Buenos Aires
- 01 September - Robins Tchale-Watchou profile
- 31 August - Rugby World Cup Trophy Tour - South Africa
- 30 August - Gilbert's new ball for Rugby World Cup 2015
- 29 August - CEO Brett Gosper on the name change from 'IRB' to 'World Rugby'
- 29 August - Feature on Argentina's Manuel Montero
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 25 August - Bhubesi Pride takes rugby to children across Africa
- 25 August - Argentina legend Hugo Porta on his career
- 24 August - (FUN) England's Women talk about what makes them tick
- 23 August - Rugby World Cup volunteers feature