The IRB has paid tribute to one of international Rugby’s most experienced and accomplished referees, Alain Rolland, following the announcement that he has decided to retire at the end of the current season.
Rolland, 47, has so far refereed 64 full internationals, including the pinnacle match in the Game when he took charge of the Rugby World Cup 2007 final between South Africa and England in Paris.
“Rugby simply cannot take place without referees and Alain has proven himself time and again to be one of the most accurate, consistent and reliable match officials this great Game has seen,” said IRB Chairman Bernard Lapasset.
“The fact that Alain went into refereeing after a successful playing career is particularly pleasing and he should be an inspiration to others who want to stay involved once their playing days are over. I would like to wish him well for the remainder of this season and beyond.”
IRB High Performance Match Official Manager Joel Jutge added: “Alain is quite simply a world-class referee who has maintained a consistently high level of performance and fitness throughout his career. He works extremely hard at all aspects of his game, he is the consummate professional and, in addition, he always has time to offer advice and support to younger referees coming through the ranks.”
“I would like to thank him for his service to Rugby, acknowledge his contribution at the highest level and wish him all the best for the future. He is a role model for all aspiring referees.”
In addition to a stellar international career, Rolland officiated more than 70 European Cup matches, including two finals.
- Saturday 8 March 2014 - Women's Rugby
Rugby celebrates International Women's Day
- Friday 7 March 2014 - World Rankings
Fourth at stake when RWC 2015 rivals meet
- Friday 7 March 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
World Cup success the dream for Agricole
- Friday 7 March 2014 - Olympics
Rugby Sevens primed for ODESUR Games in Chile
- Friday 7 March 2014 - RWC 2015
England and Wales set for RWC 2015 rehearsal
- 08 March - Sandrine Agricole on France women's Six Nations campaign
- 7 March - England v Wales: Rugby World Cup memories and dreams
- 07 March - Andy Robinson looks ahead to the penultimate round of the Six Nations
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 03 March - Alain Rolland looks back over his distinguished refereeing career