In a major boost for Rugby administration in the Americas, no fewer than 19 Unions from the CONSUR and NACRA regions are attending an Olympic solidarity high performance Rugby Sevens course run in collaboration with Argentina Rugby Union.
Representatives from Ecuador, Peru, Argentina, Uruguay, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Bermuda, Nicaragua, Venezuela, Mexico, Guyana, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Colombia, El Salvador, Brazil, Barbados, Cayman Islands and Nicaragua are taking part in the course, which takes place all this week in Asuncion, the capital of Paraguay.
The delegates will remain in the city to witness the Paraguay launch of the exciting Get Into Rugby mass participation programme and to attend the first match of CONSUR Senior A tournament between Paraguay and Uruguay.
President of the Paraguayan National Olympic Committee Camilo Perez officially opened the course. He said: “I am delighted we are hosting this course in our country. I strongly believe Rugby is a great sport to invest in due to our potential. Along with handball, I think Rugby will continue to grow in popularity here.”
On behalf of the NOC, Perez has signed a 20-year agreement with the national sports ministry and the Union de Rugby de Paraguay. Under the terms of this agreement, Rugby will gain two purpose-built grounds and a 1,300-capacity venue with offices for the Union, all of which will be completed by April 2015.
- Union Argentina de Rugby »
- Union de Rugby del Uruguay »
- Trinidad and Tobago R.F.U. »
- Bermuda R.F.U. »
- Confederação Brasileira de Rugby »
- Cayman Rugby Union »
- Union Colombiana de Rugby »
- Guyana R.F.U. »
- Union de Rugby del Paraguay »
- Union Peruana de Rugby »
- St. Vincent & the Grenadines Rugby Union »
- Federación Venezolana de Rugby »
- Federación Mexicana de Rugby »
- Friday 24 October 2014 - RWC 2015
Leeds set for clash of continents
- Friday 24 October 2014 -
Australia Sevens stars land top awards
- Thursday 23 October 2014 - Junior World Rugby Trophy
Euro hosts Portugal prepare for JWRT 2015
- Thursday 23 October 2014 - Awards
Ray Williams wins prestigious IRB Award
- Thursday 23 October 2014 - RWC 2015
Record demand for RWC 2015 tickets
- 25 October - Brazil Sevens in South Africa
- 24 October - England's oldest schools match
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 21 October - Jonny Wilkinson on life after rugby
- 20 October - Australia player Emilee Cherry looks ahead to the start of the Women's Sevens World Series
- 18 October - Cameron Clark on playing for Australia sevens
- 17 October - Sweden's Jennifer Sundqvist on 30 years of Women's rugby in the country
- 17 October - Gold Coast Sevens review
- 15 October - Martin Johnson's 'Tackle These'
- 14 October - Martin Johnson and Chris Robshaw on leadership