In a major boost for Rugby administration in the Americas, no fewer than 19 Unions from the CONSUR and NACRA regions are attending an Olympic solidarity high performance Rugby Sevens course run in collaboration with Argentina Rugby Union.
Representatives from Ecuador, Peru, Argentina, Uruguay, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Bermuda, Nicaragua, Venezuela, Mexico, Guyana, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Colombia, El Salvador, Brazil, Barbados, Cayman Islands and Nicaragua are taking part in the course, which takes place all this week in Asuncion, the capital of Paraguay.
The delegates will remain in the city to witness the Paraguay launch of the exciting Get Into Rugby mass participation programme and to attend the first match of CONSUR Senior A tournament between Paraguay and Uruguay.
President of the Paraguayan National Olympic Committee Camilo Perez officially opened the course. He said: “I am delighted we are hosting this course in our country. I strongly believe Rugby is a great sport to invest in due to our potential. Along with handball, I think Rugby will continue to grow in popularity here.”
On behalf of the NOC, Perez has signed a 20-year agreement with the national sports ministry and the Union de Rugby de Paraguay. Under the terms of this agreement, Rugby will gain two purpose-built grounds and a 1,300-capacity venue with offices for the Union, all of which will be completed by April 2015.
- Union Argentina de Rugby »
- Union de Rugby del Uruguay »
- Trinidad and Tobago R.F.U. »
- Bermuda R.F.U. »
- Confederação Brasileira de Rugby »
- Cayman Rugby Union »
- Union Colombiana de Rugby »
- Guyana R.F.U. »
- Union de Rugby del Paraguay »
- Union Peruana de Rugby »
- St. Vincent & the Grenadines Rugby Union »
- Federación Venezolana de Rugby »
- Federación Mexicana de Rugby »
- Thursday 24 July 2014 - RWC 2015
Fitzpatrick: Lomu - our strength and weakness
- Thursday 24 July 2014 - Africa
Madagascar: A hidden rugby gem
- Thursday 24 July 2014 - Press Releases
Top matches for Tier Two nations in November
- Wednesday 23 July 2014 - Commonwealth Games
Commonwealth Games: Rugby's all-rounders
- Tuesday 22 July 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Superbru onboard for #WRWC2014
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 23 July - Development of rugby in Colombia
- 22 July - The Netherlands team profile
- 21 July - In-depth look at rugby in Russia
- 20 July - New Zealand's John Afoa looks back on his career
- 19 July - Sean Fitzpatrick Tackle These
- 18 July - Australia's women look ahead to the Rugby World Cup
- 16 July - Shane Williams on life in Japan
- 15 July - South Africa women's preparation for the World Cup
- 14 July - Humphrey Kayange takes on 'Tackle These'