In a major boost for Rugby administration in the Americas, no fewer than 19 Unions from the CONSUR and NACRA regions are attending an Olympic solidarity high performance Rugby Sevens course run in collaboration with Argentina Rugby Union.
Representatives from Ecuador, Peru, Argentina, Uruguay, St Vincent and the Grenadines, Trinidad and Tobago, Bermuda, Nicaragua, Venezuela, Mexico, Guyana, Costa Rica, Guatemala, Colombia, El Salvador, Brazil, Barbados, Cayman Islands and Nicaragua are taking part in the course, which takes place all this week in Asuncion, the capital of Paraguay.
The delegates will remain in the city to witness the Paraguay launch of the exciting Get Into Rugby mass participation programme and to attend the first match of CONSUR Senior A tournament between Paraguay and Uruguay.
President of the Paraguayan National Olympic Committee Camilo Perez officially opened the course. He said: “I am delighted we are hosting this course in our country. I strongly believe Rugby is a great sport to invest in due to our potential. Along with handball, I think Rugby will continue to grow in popularity here.”
On behalf of the NOC, Perez has signed a 20-year agreement with the national sports ministry and the Union de Rugby de Paraguay. Under the terms of this agreement, Rugby will gain two purpose-built grounds and a 1,300-capacity venue with offices for the Union, all of which will be completed by April 2015.
- Union Argentina de Rugby »
- Union de Rugby del Uruguay »
- Trinidad and Tobago R.F.U. »
- Bermuda R.F.U. »
- Confederação Brasileira de Rugby »
- Cayman Rugby Union »
- Union Colombiana de Rugby »
- Guyana R.F.U. »
- Union de Rugby del Paraguay »
- Union Peruana de Rugby »
- St. Vincent & the Grenadines Rugby Union »
- Federación Venezolana de Rugby »
- Federación Mexicana de Rugby »
- Monday 1 September 2014 - South America
Colombia start with big win in South America
- Monday 1 September 2014 - Junior World Rugby Trophy
Namibia qualify for Junior World Trophy 2015
- Monday 1 September 2014 - Olympics
Rio 2016 calls for Rugby volunteers
- Monday 1 September 2014 - RWC 2015
Too Big To Miss
- Friday 29 August 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
Ensuring an Impact Beyond WRWC 2014
- 03 September - Gavin Hastings 'Tackle These'
- 02 September - Ollie Phillips sailing
- 01 September - Robins Tchale-Watchou profile
- 31 August - Rugby World Cup Trophy Tour - South Africa
- 30 August - Gilbert's new ball for Rugby World Cup 2015
- 29 August - CEO Brett Gosper on the name change from 'IRB' to 'World Rugby'
- 29 August - Feature on Argentina's Manuel Montero
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 25 August - Bhubesi Pride takes rugby to children across Africa
- 25 August - Argentina legend Hugo Porta on his career