The President of Georgia, Mikheil Saakashvili, has awarded the Georgian Rugby Union President George Nijaradze and the nation's former national team coach Richie Dixon with the Honorary Orders of Excellence.
Nijaradze and Dixon, who was also involved in a development and consultancy role with the Georgian Rugby Union, were awarded the accolades for special contribution to development of rugby in Georgia and outstanding international achievements.
“I highly appreciate your long-term activity, which finally yielded its results this year and showed how dramatically Georgia progressed in rugby," said President Saakashvili at the ceremony, held in Kvareli in the Kakheti Region.
"Sport is a crucial part of the mainstream process, which will transform Georgia into a top level country.
“By participating in Rugby World Cup 2011 in New Zealand this autumn, Georgia made a bold statement; we showed that Georgian rugby stepped onto a new, higher stage of development.
“We plan to promote and further develop Georgian rugby by means of new governmental support programmes.
“I would like to once again thank Georgian national rugby coach and the President of the Georgian Rugby Union. Both of you achieved your goals, and we are grateful for this,” added President Saakashvili.
- Friday 31 October 2014 - World Rankings
Moody: NZ never know when they're beaten
- Friday 31 October 2014 - Europe
Netherlands - Belgium in Women's Trophy Final
- Thursday 30 October 2014 - Junior World Rugby Trophy
Portugal - Georgia in Euro Under 19 final
- Wednesday 29 October 2014 - RWC 2015
RWC 2015: Pool B profile
- Tuesday 28 October 2014 - Press Releases
Land Rover named as partner for ConfEx 2014
- 31 October - Lewis Moody looks ahead to the November internationals
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 28 October - Rugby in Hawaii
- 27 October - Rugby World Cup Memory - France v New Zealand 1999 semi-final
- 26 October - Parisian Rugby
- 25 October - Brazil Sevens in South Africa
- 24 October - England's oldest schools match
- 21 October - Jonny Wilkinson on life after rugby
- 20 October - Australia player Emilee Cherry looks ahead to the start of the Women's Sevens World Series
- 18 October - Cameron Clark on playing for Australia sevens