The President of Georgia, Mikheil Saakashvili, has awarded the Georgian Rugby Union President George Nijaradze and the nation's former national team coach Richie Dixon with the Honorary Orders of Excellence.
Nijaradze and Dixon, who was also involved in a development and consultancy role with the Georgian Rugby Union, were awarded the accolades for special contribution to development of rugby in Georgia and outstanding international achievements.
“I highly appreciate your long-term activity, which finally yielded its results this year and showed how dramatically Georgia progressed in rugby," said President Saakashvili at the ceremony, held in Kvareli in the Kakheti Region.
"Sport is a crucial part of the mainstream process, which will transform Georgia into a top level country.
“By participating in Rugby World Cup 2011 in New Zealand this autumn, Georgia made a bold statement; we showed that Georgian rugby stepped onto a new, higher stage of development.
“We plan to promote and further develop Georgian rugby by means of new governmental support programmes.
“I would like to once again thank Georgian national rugby coach and the President of the Georgian Rugby Union. Both of you achieved your goals, and we are grateful for this,” added President Saakashvili.
- Friday 22 August 2014 - Women's RWC 2014
World Cup was simply incredible - Carty
- Friday 22 August 2014 - IRB Hall of Fame
Eleven NZ greats inducted into Hall of Fame
- Thursday 21 August 2014 - RWC 2015
Race continues for "backbone of World Cup"
- Thursday 21 August 2014 - Olympics
Bach and Lapasset thrilled with Olympic debut
- Thursday 21 August 2014 - Oceania
NZ men join strongest ever Oceania Sevens
- 23 August - Rugby World Cup volunteers feature
- 22 August - A round-up of the action at the Youth Olympic Games in China
- 22 August - A report looking back on the Women's Rugby World Cup
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 20 August - England's Maggie Alphonsi and Emily Scarratt on winning the Women's Rugby World Cup
- 20 August - Heather Moyse on the Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing
- 20 August - An emotional Dom du Toit on Australia's victory at the Youth Olympic Games
- 20 August - France captain Alex Arrate and coach Thierry Janeczeck on winning the men's event at the Youth Olympic Games
- 20 August - Canada's Hannah Darling on winning silver at the Youth Olympic Games in Nanjing
- 20 August - China's Yueying Gao on winning bronze at the Youth Olympics