Serbia ended the year on a high with a convincing 32-7 defeat of Andorra in Division 3A of the European Nations Cup 2010 on Saturday, a victory which sees them climb five places in the latest IRB World Rankings.
The home side had gone into the final weekend of European Nations Cup action this year lying 72nd, eight places and just over two rating points behind their visitors to Smederevo as both sides sought their first win the competition.
Serbia led only 8-0 at half time, but three second half tries saw them secure the convincing victory and the resultant five place climb to 67th in the IRB World Rankings – their highest position for more than a year.
For Andorra a second defeat in Division 3 of the European Nations Cup, which doubles as the region’s qualifying process for Rugby World Cup 2011, means they are now the lower ranked of these two sides after a six place slide to 70th.
Hungary, Colombia and Guyana have all climbed one place as a result of Andorra’s slide, while Peru and Zambia both slip one due to Serbia’s jump back up the IRB World Rankings.
The only other European Nations Cup encounter of the weekend saw Cyprus continue their unbeaten start to Division 3D – the only one not doubling up for RWC 2011 qualifying – with a 24-3 defeat of Monaco in Episkopi.
However this match does not have any impact on the IRB World Rankings because Cyprus are not yet a full Member Union of the International Rugby Board and therefore not ranked.
Keep an eye out for a review of the last 12 months in the IRB World Rankings later this week.
- Monday 31 October 2011 - World Rankings
ENC provides numerous changes in Rankings
- Friday 28 October 2011 - null
How RWC 2011 impacted the IRB World Rankings
- Monday 24 October 2011 - World Rankings
New Zealand stay on top of the world rankings
- Thursday 20 October 2011 - RWC 2011
RWC 2011 winners to top world rankings
|30 September 2013|
|30 September 2013|
- 04 November - Stephen Larkham on the 2003 Rugby World Cup final
- 01 November - Stephen Larkham on Rugby World Cup 1999 and 'that' drop goal
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 30 October - England's Danielle Waterman on Women's Rugby World Cup 2014 Draw
- 30 October - Marie-Alice Yahe's (France) reaction to Women's Rugby World Cup 2014 Draw (in French)