Romania finished their European Nations Cup 2010 campaign in style with an emphatic 48-3 defeat of Spain in their rearranged match at the stadionul National Arcul de Triumf in Bucharest on Saturday.
Catalin Fercu, Ionut Dimofte, Viorel Lucaci, Iulian Dimitras (2) and Stefan Ciuntu all crossed for tries in the victory with full back Florin Vlaicu kicking 18 points as Romania ended the two-year competition in third, four points behind champions Georgia.
VIEW THE FULL RANKINGS >>
This victory, however, did not have any impact on the IRB World Rankings with Romania having gone into the match lying 18th, seven places and 9.35 rating points above their visitors Spain.
Romania now have just under two months to prepare for a home and away play-off against either Lithuania or Ukraine for the right to represent Europe in the cross-continental play-off to determine the 20th and final qualifier for Rugby World Cup 2011.
The weekend's other European Nations Cup match also did not have any impact on the IRB World Rankings as Cyprus, the 15-0 conquerors of Bosnia & Herzegovina, are not yet a Full Member Union of the International Rugby Board and therefore not ranked.
However, the match was still a vital one for Cyprus who have been the dominant force in Division 3D over the last two years, enjoying an unbeaten record and amassing 187 points and conceding only 17 across six matches.
Cyprus' victory over Bosnia & Herzegovina in Paphos secures the Division 3D crown for the Moufflons - who only played their fisrt international match three years ago - and promotion out of the bottom tier of the European Nations Cup.
- Monday 16 May 2011 - World Rankings
13 matches see multiple ranking changes
- Monday 9 May 2011 - World Rankings
Hong Kong inch closer to best ever ranking
- Monday 2 May 2011 - World Rankings
Switzerland and Malta on the rise in rankings
- Monday 25 April 2011 - World Rankings
Hong Kong climb five places in rankings
|30 September 2013|
|30 September 2013|
- 04 November - Stephen Larkham on the 2003 Rugby World Cup final
- 01 November - Stephen Larkham on Rugby World Cup 1999 and 'that' drop goal
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 30 October - England's Danielle Waterman on Women's Rugby World Cup 2014 Draw
- 30 October - Marie-Alice Yahe's (France) reaction to Women's Rugby World Cup 2014 Draw (in French)