Bulgaria have climbed six places to a new high of 83rd in the IRB World Rankings on the back of a comfortable 36-13 victory over Finland at the St de Myllypuro in Helsinki on Saturday.
The victory also sees Bulgaria move into second place in the European Nations Cup Division 3C standings with 11 points, one fewer than Israel who now have a game in hand. Bulgaria could move into top spot with victory over Luxembourg later this month, given that Israel do not resume their campaign until April.
Bulgaria's victory has improved their rating by 1.17 points to 36.66 and taken them above Monaco, Tahiti, Bahamas, Norway, Jamaica and India in the IRB World Rankings. They now also trail Swaziland in 82nd by only two hundredths.
The defeat leaves Finland at the foot of the IRB World Rankings, although now 4.38 rating points adrift of Luxembourg, the side they ironically face away from home next in the European Nations Cup on 7 November.
The European Nations Cup continues on Saturday when Ukraine host Belgium in Division 2A - which doubles as part of the region's qualifying process for RWC 2011 - while Hungary face Slovenia, Lithuania entertain Andorra and Bosnia & Herzegovina tackle Monaco.
- Monday 7 October 2013 - World Rankings
Hungary climb 10 places in rankings
- Friday 4 October 2013 - World Rankings
All Blacks to retain top spot in rankings
- Monday 30 September 2013 - World Rankings
South Africa inch closer to rankings top spot
- Friday 27 September 2013 - World Rankings
Second within reach for Australia in rankings
|20 October 2014|
|20 October 2014|
- 20 October - Australia player Emilee Cherry looks ahead to the start of the Women's Sevens Series
- 18 October - Cameron Clark on playing for Australia sevens
- 17 October - Sweden's Jennifer Sundqvist on 30 years of Women's rugby in the country
- 17 October - Gold Coast Sevens review
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show