Total Rugby Radio show 251, from 16:00 UK time on Thursday 7 January ...
LISTEN NOW: CURRENT RADIO SHOW >>
- RADIO: Where in the world can I listen to Total Rugby ?
- i-TUNES: Subscribe to the FREE Podcast!
All the best moments, features and interviews from the final four months of 2009, including the IOC's historic decision to make Sevens an Olympic sport..
RUGBY'S OLYMPIC DREAM
After years of campaigning by the IRB for the inclusion of Rugby in the Olympic Games, the IOC voted overwhelmingly in October to include Sevens in the 2016 Games in Rio de Janeiro. We relive all the reaction to that historic announcement, from the likes of Agustin Pichot, IRB Chairman Bernard Lapasset, Jonah Lomu, Sevens World Champion Cheryl Soon and Kenya captain Humphrey Kayange.
SEVENS ON THE STRIP
Rugby - and Sevens in particular - is now set to reach out to new markets and destinations as never before. Shortly after the Olympic announcement, Las Vegas was confirmed as the new and exciting fourth leg of the World Series - Sevens adding yet more glitz to its global calendar. We spoke with one major figure behind the move, the charismatic Mayor of Vegas, Oscar Goodman.
THE OTHER GITEAU: KRISTY
With Sevens and the expanding nature of the game very much the theme of the show, it was fitting that we should feature the Wallaroos of Australia, winners of the inaugural Women's Sevens World Cup in Dubai who recruited a newcomer with a very famous name - Kristy Giteau.
INVICTUS: RUGBY GOES TO HOLLYWOOD
Not to be outdone by Las Vegas, it was almost inevitable that Hollywood would somehow get in on the act. Clint Eastwood's new film 'Invictus' was released with an all-star cast, retelling one of South Africa's - and rugby's - most dramatic and inspiring stories. One of the characters at the centre of it is Francois Pienaar, who spoke with us from South Africa.
IRB AWARDS: TEAM, COACH & PLAYER
Having beaten the Lions and won the Tri Nations, there was no denying that South Africa had been the team of the year, captained by John Smit. Ireland's Declan Kidney took the honours in the coach category and All Black Richie McCaw became the first man to win the Player's award twice. We hear from all three.
JONAH LOMU: LE COMEBACK
November was a time for comebacks. Jonny Wilkinson capitalised on some good form for Toulon in France to reclaim England's number 10 shirt, but elsewhere in France arguably the game's most famous name was making a more muted return. The team, Marseille Vitrolles. The name, Jonah Lomu…
- 10 December - Zinzan Brooke on Kieran Read
- 09 December - International referee Jonathan Kaplan on his retirement
- 07 December - Dubai Quiz
- 06 December - John Eales on the end of year IRB Awards
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 03 December - Award Panel Chair John Eales on IRB Player of the Year
- 03 December - John Eales on IRB Coach of the Year
- 03 December - John Eales on IRB Team of the Year
- 03 December - Joe Schmidt on Ireland and coming close to beating the All Blacks
- 02 December - Sevens commentator Scott Hastings looks back on Dubai