Anti doping cases
Doping Case Archive
Last updated: 8 September 2009
ANTI DOPING RULE VIOLATIONS
(See below for .pdf documents of all sanctions)
2009: A total of one player from Georgia has committed an anti-doping rule violation under the IRB's Anti-Doping Programme in 2009 to date.
|Georgia||Cannabis||4 month sanction
2008: A total of 12 players have been found to have committed anti doping rule violations under the IRB's programme in 2008, two from Georgia, one from Venezuela, one from Cook Islands, two from Chile, two from Canada, one from France, two from Samoa and one from Russia.
|Venezuela||Nandrolone||2 year sanction|
|Georgia||19-Norandrosterone||2 year sanction|
|Georgia||Cannabis||5 month sanction|
|Cook Islands||Cannabis||3 month sanction|
|Chile||Clenbuterol||2 year sanction|
|Canada||Cannabis||3 month sanction|
|France||Tuaminoheptane||Warning and Reprimand|
|Samoa||Salbutamol||2 year sanction|
|Canada||Finasteride||Warning and Reprimand|
|Samoa||Salbutamol||2 year sanction|
|Russia||Indapamide||Warning and Reprimand|
|Chile||Cannabis||4 month sanction|
2007: A total of five players were found to have committed anti doping rule violations under the IRB's programme in 2007, two from Georgia, one from Samoa, one from Sri Lanka and one from Iran.
|Georgia x 2||Cannabis||3 month sanction|
|Samoa||Furosemide||2 year sanction|
|Sri Lanka||Cannabis||3 month sanction
|Iran||19-Norandrosterone||2 year sanction|
2006: A total of six players were found to have committed anti doping rule violations under the IRB's programme in 2006, two from Russia, one from Chile, one from Fiji, one from Argentina and one from Namibia.
|Argentina||Stanozolol||18 month sanction|
|Namibia||Methandienone||2 year sanction|
|Chile||Ephedrine||6 week sanction|
|Russia x 2
||Cannabis||4 months sanction
|Fiji||Cannabis||3 months saction
2005: A total of three players were found to have committed anti doping rule violations under the IRB's programme in 2005.
|USA||Finasteride||1 year sanction
|Kenya||hydrochlorthiazide||2 years sanction|
|Ukraine||Cannabinoids||6 months sanction
2004: A total of four Players were found to have committed anti doping rule violations under the IRB's programme in 2004.
* Salbutamol is permitted via inhalation for the treatment of asthma or exercise induced asthma/broncho spasm when the Player and their prescribing doctor complete an abbreviated Therapeutic Use Exemption (TUE) form. In both of these cases no abbreviated TUE was submitted.
2004: A further four cases under the jurisdiction of the Netherlands Rugby Bond (NRB) were appealed by the Board after the original decisions were received by the IRB and reviewed by members of the IRB Anti Doping Advisory Committee. The cases were heard by a *Board Appeal Committee and **final decisions were handed down in 2006.
*At the time of these offences IRB Regulation 21 permitted a Board Appeal Committee to hear cases dealt with initially by Member Unions following a review of the case decision by members of the IRB Anti Doping Advisory Committee.
|Netherlands||Cocaine & Methylenediomtamphetamine||18 months (6 months already served under NRB decision)|
|Netherlands||Cocaine & Cannabis||20 months (4 months already served under NRB decision)|
|Netherlands||Methylenediomtamphetamine & Cannabis||18 months (6 months already served under NRB decision)|
|Netherlands||Cocaine & Cannabis||No change to original sanction handed down by NRB (4 months)|
** For copies of the Board Judicial Committee decisions for the Dutch cases listed above, please contact Tim Ricketts, IRB Anti-Doping Manager via email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- 21 October - Jonny Wilkinson on life after rugby
- 20 October - Australia player Emilee Cherry looks ahead to the start of the Women's Sevens World Series
- 18 October - Cameron Clark on playing for Australia sevens
- 17 October - Sweden's Jennifer Sundqvist on 30 years of Women's rugby in the country
- 17 October - Gold Coast Sevens review
- Listen to this week's Total Rugby show
- 15 October - Martin Johnson's 'Tackle These'
- 14 October - Martin Johnson and Chris Robshaw on leadership
- 13 October - Uruguay's reaction to securing a place in Rugby World Cup Pool A
- 13 October - Russia's reaction to missing out on Rugby World Cup 2015